Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West Mersea
    Posts
    6,443

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Have plotter with Navionics UK and Ireland pack up to date; also carry Imray paper packs for Solent, Kent and Sussex and Thames estuary. What could go wrong?

    Hah! Off Eastbourne on passage to Harwich we sailed off the chart onto a blank map so far as the plotter was concerned. Don’t know what happened there, but coverage restarted at Lowestoft. Fat lot of use.

    No problem - we’ll use the paper charts...

    Guess what Imray choose to leave off their pack of charts - the Long Sand Head!

    Problem solved by updating the Navionics pack on my iPhone as we were in cell range passing Dover. £34.99 for information I has already paid much more for on the plotter.

    And what cretins stop their coverage of the Thames Estuary just short of Long Sand Head?

    Seriously p....d off with Navionics and with Imray.
    Well...

    I'll tell Imray. They would appreciate the feel back and I'll pass that direct to Matthew. Of course if you got Imray's ID10 (now Meridien Chartwork's software using Imray charts), it would include the Long Sand Head - cos that is where I get the image for the NtM. Not sure why you both with Navionics. When I looked at their chart at the Crouch there were two major buoys omitted, another buoy half a mile out and the soundings hopelessly inaccurate. It occured to me if I used Navionics I would need to know where we are going already.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,759

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Well...

    I'll tell Imray. They would appreciate the feel back and I'll pass that direct to Matthew. Of course if you got Imray's ID10 (now Meridien Chartwork's software using Imray charts), it would include the Long Sand Head - cos that is where I get the image for the NtM. Not sure why you both with Navionics. When I looked at their chart at the Crouch there were two major buoys omitted, another buoy half a mile out and the soundings hopelessly inaccurate. It occured to me if I used Navionics I would need to know where we are going already.
    Thanks Roger.

    I'm a beginner with electronic navigation ( I did say to one of the younger crew members, "You have been on a voyage back to the nineteen seventies - dead engine, worries about the battery, (so no radar and hand pumped cold water!) sailing off the edge of the paper charts - we used to do this all the time!")

    As a beginner, I bought what the chandlers sold me.

    In fairness to Imray Laurie Norie and Wilson, the chart pack that I bought for the Thames Estuary is actually called "Coasts of Essex and Suffolk", not "Thames Estuary - Northern Part" But I do think that it should include the Long Sand Head (otherwise, its hard to use your excellent book!).
    Last edited by Kukri; 01-10-19 at 15:40.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,417

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    Just shows what a waste of time the folios are for the Thames estuary are. Just need to one Imray chart for the area. All that paper shuffling is a pain.
    & why go to the Longsand Head any way?
    Just go up the Black Deep until the Echo sounder tells you that you have cleared the end of the Sunk Sands & keep a bit left. You can see Felixtowe from there.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,034

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Captain Henry Otter of HMS Porcupine
    Otter of the porcupine???

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,417

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Think yourself lucky, bloke I knew was on his WTW trip and hit a reef on autopilot. Not that the reef was unknown, quite the opposite, but his chartplotter was missing a page..
    Some sort of arrangement was come to
    Don't tell us,!!! that was Brent Swain testing his steel boat design again
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,759

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Just shows what a waste of time the folios are for the Thames estuary are. Just need to one Imray chart for the area. All that paper shuffling is a pain.
    & why go to the Longsand Head any way?
    Just go up the Black Deep until the Echo sounder tells you that you have cleared the end of the Sunk Sands & keep a bit left. You can see Felixstowe from there.
    We did think about that, but at the decision point, at the north end of the Gull Stream, it was 0200 am on a moonless night, it was blowing F8, SW, forecast to veer NW and increase to 9 (which it didn't do, luckily,) visibility wasn't wonderful and I didn't fancy either the un-buoyed Edinburghs or the buoyed but narrow and steep to Fisherman's Gat, and certainly not Foulgers and the windfarm.
    Last edited by Kukri; 01-10-19 at 15:58.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    36,520

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    We did think about that, but at the decision point, at the north end of the Gull Stream, it was 0200 am on a moonless night, it was blowing F8, SW, forecast to veer NW and increase to 9 (which it didn't do, luckily,) visibility wasn't wonderful and I didn't fancy either the un-buoyed Edinburghs or the buoyed but narrow and steep to Fisherman's Gat, and certainly not Foulgers and the windfarm.
    I always go the outside route, much less stressful than all those narrow shallow bits.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    8,215

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    It is not unknown for genuine Navionics charts to have a couple of files missing.

    Ten years ago I experienced this with a new Raymarine C80 loaded with Navionics gold for the UK and Northern France.

    Everything was fine untill we got between Beaulieu River and Lymington, where the detail dissapeared, just leaving the shape of the land.

    Stopped at Plymouth at Navionics HQ and was loud in my complaints.

    They checked it and pronounced it good. I asked him to put it on a plotter showing the GPS position-he was using the Solway Firth area as a test.

    When he did, no detail.

    Two files missing, Beaulieu River to Lands End.

    Where had we decided to cruise-exactly that area!

    They were most apologetic and issued a new card, plus seriously discounting a card reader for passage planning at home.

    Your problem is not unknown!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,759

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    It is not unknown for genuine Navionics charts to have a couple of files missing.

    Ten years ago I experienced this with a new Raymarine C80 loaded with Navionics gold for the UK and Northern France.

    Everything was fine untill we got between Beaulieu River and Lymington, where the detail dissapeared, just leaving the shape of the land.

    Stopped at Plymouth at Navionics HQ and was loud in my complaints.

    They checked it and pronounced it good. I asked him to put it on a plotter showing the GPS position-he was using the Solway Firth area as a test.

    When he did, no detail.

    Two files missing, Beaulieu River to Lands End.

    Where had we decided to cruise-exactly that area!

    They were most apologetic and issued a new card, plus seriously discounting a card reader for passage planning at home.

    Your problem is not unknown!
    That’s exactly what we had. Thank you very much indeed. I feel much more confident in confronting Raymarine, Navionics and Force 4 now.

    It’s not as if they haven’t trousered several thousand of my post tax pounds in the last few months.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Northern summers aboard Ningaloo otherwise Perth WA
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

    If you had cellular coverage you could have just used Cmap Embark or the web version on Navionics without additional cost.
    Ningaloo - Hanse 385

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to