Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Chart and plotter whinge

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Have plotter with Navionics UK and Ireland pack up to date; also carry Imray paper packs for Solent, Kent and Sussex and Thames estuary. What could go wrong?

Hah! Off Eastbourne on passage to Harwich we sailed off the chart onto a blank map so far as the plotter was concerned. Don’t know what happened there, but coverage restarted at Lowestoft. Fat lot of use.

No problem - we’ll use the paper charts...

Guess what Imray choose to leave off their pack of charts - the Long Sand Head!

Problem solved by updating the Navionics pack on my iPhone as we were in cell range passing Dover. £34.99 for information I has already paid much more for on the plotter.

And what cretins stop their coverage of the Thames Estuary just short of Long Sand Head?

Seriously p....d off with Navionics and with Imray.
    Did you review the navionics chart on the plotter before you set off ie; was the blank area always there or did it occur mid passage?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

No, I didn’t. I did a simple passage plan on the paper charts and I had no reason to assume that the chart card would be defective. It’s not a passage that calls for much planning. Make Nab Tower, keep South of the Owers, avoid the Royal Sovereign shoals, don’t try to go into any of the harbours en route in a SW gale, and turn left at South Foreland, choosing inside or outside the Goodwins depending on the weather at that point, ditto for Fisherman’s Gat/Black Deep or outside everything.

Last edited by Kukri; 02-10-19 at 13:19.

Hi Minn, well, apologies are owed in that case. As you say, Long Sand Head itself is shown on the 2000.1 chart but the extent doesn't go as far east as to include the buoy. On on chart C1 Thames Estuary, which obviously isn't in the pack, the buoy is indeed shown.

I'm curious now as to how long the buoy has been there (will talk to Roger about it). If it was after the scheme for that chart pack was devised, that'll be why it's missing. We'll look into it and see if/how we can improve it. A case in point about it being useful to have your feedback. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, and sorry again!

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    No, I didn’t. I did a simple passage plan on the paper charts and I had no reason to assume that the chart card would be defective. It’s not a passage that calls for much planning. Make Nab Tower, keep South of the Owers, avoid the Royal Sovereign shoals, don’t try to go into any of the harbours en route in a SW gale, and turn left at South Foreland, choosing inside or outside the Goodwins depending on the weather at that point, ditto for Fisherman’s Gat/Black Deep or outside everything.

Perhaps I’m over cautious but I always scroll through the full length of the intended course on the plotter with the paper chart in front of me as well. I compare the key waypoint data on both paper and electronic sources to identify any discrepancies or anomalies. Works for me.

Lesson learned. I have lost a lot of the confidence that I had in these systems. I was used to UKHO standards. Evidently we yotties can be fobbed off with much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Imray View Post
    Hi Minn, well, apologies are owed in that case. As you say, Long Sand Head itself is shown on the 2000.1 chart but the extent doesn't go as far east as to include the buoy. On on chart C1 Thames Estuary, which obviously isn't in the pack, the buoy is indeed shown.

I'm curious now as to how long the buoy has been there (will talk to Roger about it). If it was after the scheme for that chart pack was devised, that'll be why it's missing. We'll look into it and see if/how we can improve it. A case in point about it being useful to have your feedback. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, and sorry again!
    If I might make a suggestion, whilst I do appreciate that the 2000 pack is labelled ‘Essex and Suffolk’, I did notice that in the Sussex and Kent pack you include a chart labelled «*Thames Estuary Southern Part*», which is a term carried over from UKHO labelling. Could you perhaps include a Thames Estuary Northern Part chart in place of the existing 2000.1 chart and include the whole of what Roger calls the Sunk Gyratory in it? Perhaps a thought to discuss with Roger and Jane?

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Vaguely on topic, if you want some other sources & sat images to double check, opencpn and sasplanet can do that for you, can be very useful slightly further off the beaten track >>
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...-other-sources
    It's easier inventing a perpetual motion machine than following that tutorial
    It's nice to be important........ but more important to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
    It's easier inventing a perpetual motion machine than following that tutorial
    Like your money back then?
    But slightly more seriously as getting sat images and other sources can be very useful, which bits don't make sense? Did you try it? Anyone else try it?
    Last edited by GHA; 02-10-19 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Open CPN works worldwide, might be a tad out of date, but much better than a blank page
    I don't understand.

Surely OpenCPN doesn't include any charts for any location and they all have to be obtained separately?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I don't understand.

Surely OpenCPN doesn't include any charts for any location and they all have to be obtained separately?

Richard
    I am sure you know the answer so why ask the question?

The notorious much copied and redistributed out of date CM93 circa 2012 world wide charts were a friends only electronic charts during an extended 14 year round world cruise. Wonderful charts but as useless as a chocolate fire guard in many remote Pacific locations. Google maps and forward looking echo sounder were more useful nav aids!
    Steve.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast