Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Companionway cockpit "step"

Quote Originally Posted by cmedsailor View Post
    Please see the photo I have attached. Of course all boat (must) have something to stop water, but I am referring to a large step. This step serves usually serves as extra headroom for the single aft cabin.
    But my question is whether is something people find annoying (to step up and down), useful or are indifferent.
    I've had a good look at the picture but can't see the step you refer to. Are you talking about the cockpit seat that is under the companionway entry? If so, I would have thought it is a design feature to stop crew falling off the edge when sat around the cockpit table.
    PS I've just reread your narrative and realised that it is the seat you refer to. Another thought, what is under the seat? Maybe the space is required below.
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 30-09-19 at 15:08.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by cueball View Post
    I assume you have never been pooped?
    My reaction, too. I have, decades ago, on a September flotilla. I also wonder about the fancy features I read about in new boats in YM where cockpit tables rise out of the sole, implying there should be tricky seals to stop even normal washing-out water leaking into the works...

Mike.

It's normally called a bridgedeck and having been pooped once and the cockpit filled by a big wave over the side another time, I'd never consider a boat without one, though they are rare.

it does make a handy seat, especially as I extended mine with a wooden gas bottle locker - but I learned a saying while doing yotmaster, " only owners and arseholes sit / stand there ! "

In anything like heavy weather at least the lower washboard is in place too.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Much depends on the sort of sailing you do. For modest North Sea and Channel sailing, I have never felt concerned with our low lip, though the lower washboard gets put in if there is much spray around. We would not be out in anything much more than F6 in open water.

As for whether I find it awkward to step over a bridgedeck, the answer is no. I am much more concerned about the security of my foothold on the top step, this for a typical aft-cockpit design. My boats have all had large top steps with secure barriers at each side. I have been on other boats, at sea and in boat shows, where there is nothing to stop your foot sliding into the adjacent sink, which looks like a recipe for a broken ankle.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by cueball View Post
    I assume you have never been pooped?
    There's no need for that sort of talk! This is a family forum.....

It serves a purpose, I don't give it a thought.

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

My previous boats all had seating there. The new one just goes straight down to the cockpit grating. Self and the entire crew have fallen into the cockpit at least once as a result of the missing seat... ;0)

Does stop people blocking the companionway though.

Our LM27 has no step or bridge deck. First thing I did when we bought her was fit low "washboard" across the doorway. Stops the slop running straight into cabin.
    A boat is for going places

my 1988 jeanneau sundream has this "step" too, so did the intro 22 i had before it
    Current boat: 1988 Jeanneau Sundream (lifting center board)

I suppose if one did not have any upstand at all it would give a new meaning to " self draining cockpit".
    One does not have to be "pooped" to get a good sloshing of water in the cockpit. I have often had heavy spray that has ended up with me standing in 9 inches of water on the low side. With no upstand this would have all gone below. Surely the omission of such a detail would be somewhat unsafe. One might question whether the RCD rules would require something to prevent some water going below.
    Oh, for a nice modern boat with open transom!!
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast