Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Companionway cockpit "step"

We have a similar bridge deck as in your picture. Not only does it provide extra seating around the cockpit table, it provides the perfect spot for a night watch under the sprayhood. We have all the instruments grouped around the companionway: plotter, sailing instruments, VHF, autopilot remote, so we can stay in the shelter for most of the time, and stick our head up from time to time to have a good look around. Night watches have become a lot less tiring in this boat.
    Difficult to climb over? No, if we are getting difficulties with that, moving on deck would be really dangerous, so it would be time to give up sailing.

I can't think of any boat I've been on that has not had one.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

I can't believe that so many people do not seem to realise that this is an important contribution to the seaworthiness of the vessel, reducing the risk of downflooding. Because sailing craft are relatively slow and cannot always run for shelter it is important that they can cope with adverse conditions they might face, not merely those they expect or habitually encounter.

My boat has big 'step' - I'd call it a bridge deck, it's great for safety as mentioned, the main downsides are the mainsheet track location can be a nuisance and so far no local company has managed to solve how to fit an aesthetically acceptable sprayhood.
    bridge.jpg

Is not one of the biggest examples that of the Westerly Discus in its 'bridge deck' version?
    See downpage here: https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives...rly-discus.htm

Some replies show that unfortunately my thread was not very clearly understood. Probably my mistake as English is not my official language. OF COURSE all boats must have something to stop water entering into the boat from the cockpit. But the majority of the boats have simply a raised fiberglass part where you simply need to raise your foot on top of it (from the cockpit floor) to reach the companionway steps. In the boat examples I have listed, you need to actually step up into this part (sort of "step") before reaching the companionway steps. In a long trip this can be annoying for some. For others it can be an extra space to sit.
    Keep sailing

Like many terms, ‘bridge deck’ is rather elastic. It is often defined as a ‘raised separation’ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockpit_(sailing)), but a longer (fore and aft) raised section which you call a ‘step’ is often also called a bridge deck - perhaps fairly, as it does provide the higher barrier to water entering from the cockpit well. (Both uses are secondary anyway, as a ‘bridge deck’ in primary nautical usage is the deck area bearing the helm and navigation station.)

I’m no expert, so I may bring down on my head the wrath of those who are, but I hope that helps.

Hydrozoan,

no you're spot on.

Alan_D

I can't believe this either, a fundamental part of cockpit and boat design
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395 View Post
    My boat has big 'step' - I'd call it a bridge deck, it's great for safety as mentioned, .
    bridge.jpg
    That looks incredibly dangerous. To get to & from the cabin to the cockpit one has to walk at high level , exposed to any wave that may sweep the deck.
    To clear a gybing boom one would have to be bent almost double & I can imagine one coming on deck & not being entirely aware of what is happening on deck.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123