Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poole to gosport marina

Hi there im new to the forum.and after a bit of advice.
    Ive been boating for a few years now in and around the solent ,ive recently brought a new boat a four winns 268, from poole. I need to get boat back to gosport marina but cost of having it transported back are crazy. So i want to bring it back myself in the water.
    I know this is A fairly easy route but as ive never been down that far i have no idea what to expect like sea conditions and stuff near Poole. I know this will depend on weather etc but the solent near gosport is still very do able in blowy conditions just dont know about poole end. And advice would be much appriciated.
    Thanks
    Steve

Default Re: Poole to gosport marina

Its a great trip. Pick a nice day, easy to do in one leg or take your time and stop for lunch in Yarmouth.

There are a few pot bouys around christchurch ledge area so be aware of the them .

Quite easy to hire a delivery skipper in Poole. That is what I did all those years ago. That first voyage is a happy memory.

Youíll have the weather behind you (most likely) which will make the trip more comfortable. Take the north channel into the Solent rather than the main channel unless itís really calm. Entrance to Portsmouth can get very busy so make sure you study where you need to be (or rather not be) as a small pleasure craft. Itís a good trip so enjoy it but do a passage plan as itís your first time.

Thanks for your replies!! The portsmouth end im fine with just never ventured that far down in previous boats. A delivery skipper is a great idea.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamie langstone View Post
    There are a few pot bouys around christchurch ledge area so be aware of the them .
    +1
    I set a waypoint at the tip of the ledge to avoid them and then set for north channel as mentioned in another post. Clear the green buoy, head along the beach to hurst castle and you are in. Only significant hazard then is the bramble bank, make sure you know where that is. Gosport marina can be rolly from ferry wash. Use snubbers on your mooring lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevehillsfourwinns268 View Post
    Hi there im new to the forum.and after a bit of advice.
    Ive been boating for a few years now in and around the solent ,ive recently brought a new boat a four winns 268, from poole. I need to get boat back to gosport marina but cost of having it transported back are crazy. So i want to bring it back myself in the water.
    I know this is A fairly easy route but as ive never been down that far i have no idea what to expect like sea conditions and stuff near Poole. I know this will depend on weather etc but the solent near gosport is still very do able in blowy conditions just dont know about poole end. And advice would be much appriciated.
    Thanks
    Steve
    A lovely trip. Not as far away as you would think.

Always its about sea state and wind conditions. Try and pick a day that is gusting no more than F4. Check the tidal stream running across between Poole and the Solent and get the wind running with it (avoiding wind against tide). Then point and shoot.

As others say, take the North Buoy channel into the Solent on the Hurst Castle side, bump over the small line of overfalls that stream between Hurst and Colwell (nothing in benign conditions) and you are in.

Good luck.

If you need a competent commercially endorsed ride along then let me know, super easy trip, but quite a few gotchas - coming out of Poole is one - if you take the inshore run along to Bournemouth and Boscombe - the Christchurch ledge can be daunting for first timers especially if the prevailing SW is above 12-15 knots - wind over tide etc - soon as you are past mudeford / the ledge its a lovely run down to Hurst castle, where you would be able to un down close to the beach and nice and close in as you enter the Solent - then if SW is making it bumpy - cross over to Yarmouth then run down to Cowes and turn downwind from Osborne bay straight into Gosport via the inshore channel from fort blockhouse... A good exercise is to plan the trip on the Navionics Webapp - just type into google navionics webapp and then manually plan your route - it will help a lot.

Anyway - you buy the beer and Iíll happily run shotgun with you.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderous View Post
    If you need a competent commercially endorsed ride along then let me know, super easy trip, but quite a few gotchas - coming out of Poole is one - if you take the inshore run along to Bournemouth and Boscombe - the Christchurch ledge can be daunting for first timers especially if the prevailing SW is above 12-15 knots - wind over tide etc - soon as you are past mudeford / the ledge its a lovely run down to Hurst castle, where you would be able to un down close to the beach and nice and close in as you enter the Solent - then if SW is making it bumpy - cross over to Yarmouth then run down to Cowes and turn downwind from Osborne bay straight into Gosport via the inshore channel from fort blockhouse... A good exercise is to plan the trip on the Navionics Webapp - just type into google navionics webapp and then manually plan your route - it will help a lot.

Anyway - you buy the beer and Iíll happily run shotgun with you.

J
    Are you local to gosport then?? Appreciate your offer mate i will let you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast