Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Addicted to the fuel burn gauge

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    They do one have metric units but you are correct they are only lph http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/ser...?sid=4&catid=2

You say pricey, I tried to find out more from their listed UK and European dealers. All links went to dead ends so apart from importing I dont know how you'd get your hands on one.
    I don’t care about the units as much as wanting a fuel / distance capability rather than fuel / time only which I think is a pointless measure unless you’re on a jet ski.

Friends BT 35 with, I think, KAD 44s uses less than a l/m at displacement speed. About 3.5l/m low and high 20s and about 3.3l/m mid 20s. Engines don't come as standard with fuel consumption information but it is possible to access it.

Quote Originally Posted by gordmac View Post
    Friends BT 35 with, I think, KAD 44s uses less than a l/m at displacement speed. About 3.5l/m low and high 20s and about 3.3l/m mid 20s. Engines don't come as standard with fuel consumption information but it is possible to access it.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I don’t care about the units as much as wanting a fuel / distance capability rather than fuel / time only which I think is a pointless measure unless you’re on a jet ski.
    Reason is that without speed or distance like your Navman had, you cannot calculate lpm.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneR View Post
    Reason is that without speed or distance like your Navman had, you cannot calculate lpm.

Of course. But tell me how to measure litres. Or gallons. Or quarts, buckets, handfuls or any unit of fuel burned. I’ll do the conversation in my head if I have to. But I’d prefer not to.
    Seems I can’t even find a way to buy a fuel used per hour device any more. On any continent.
    I must be wrong? Anyone?

Aircraft? Electrical goods?

We have fuel consumption guage[s] on our new Mercruiser with Smartcraft gauges.
    What we find useful is not in particular the lph or miles to run specifically, but having the ability to see when the boat is trimmed correctly and running most efficiently at that speed.

Although all of this electrical gadgetry is great, our new engine currently wont start because the ECU 'says no'. So be careful for what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

Of course. But tell me how to measure litres. Or gallons. Or quarts, buckets, handfuls or any unit of fuel burned. I’ll do the conversation in my head if I have to. But I’d prefer not to.
    Seems I can’t even find a way to buy a fuel used per hour device any more. On any continent.
    I must be wrong? Anyone?
    I've gone down this search a few years ago.
    Now have two truck derived kits one on each engine. They measure both in and return flows, do the calcs and show them on the NMEA2000 network.
    Problem is that I'm still in contact with the builders to finetune the output but too busy during the summer, should work on that again and hopefully have a solution around xmas.

such systems are used extensively from companies running lots of trucks to keep track of consumption and avoid drivers overspending on fuel (or so I was told). Problem is that typically these are fitted with a log on the meter that the owner checks everynow and again (or when the truck is back in base...) and that's of no use to us, hence the NMEA2000 conversion.

V

Quote Originally Posted by LBRodders View Post
    We have fuel consumption guage[s] on our new Mercruiser with Smartcraft gauges.
    What we find useful is not in particular the lph or miles to run specifically, but having the ability to see when the boat is trimmed correctly and running most efficiently at that speed.

Although all of this electrical gadgetry is great, our new engine currently wont start because the ECU 'says no'. So be careful for what you wish for.
    A Port Dinorwic Pirate dead in the water? This is music to my ears. Hopefully your funbox will be fully stocked when I next pass by on a raiding sortie.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    A Port Dinorwic Pirate dead in the water? This is music to my ears. Hopefully your funbox will be fully stocked when I next pass by on a raiding sortie.
    Ha, I hope we'll have moved by the time you come through next. Even it is by tow - which is quite likely atm.

Anyway, the funbox is mostly stashed with the season's leftovers.. meagre pickings

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast