Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Addicted to the fuel burn gauge

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    I've gone down this search a few years ago.
    Now have two truck derived kits one on each engine. They measure both in and return flows, do the calcs and show them on the NMEA2000 network.
    Problem is that I'm still in contact with the builders to finetune the output but too busy during the summer, should work on that again and hopefully have a solution around xmas.

such systems are used extensively from companies running lots of trucks to keep track of consumption and avoid drivers overspending on fuel (or so I was told). Problem is that typically these are fitted with a log on the meter that the owner checks everynow and again (or when the truck is back in base...) and that's of no use to us, hence the NMEA2000 conversion.

V
    Sounds really interesting. Keep us posted.

Fuel flow meter written about in this months motor boat owner. Optio Fuel Flow Sensor.
    Looks like Bluetooth to smartphone

https://www.interactio.co/

Quote Originally Posted by Croftie View Post
    Fuel flow meter written about in this months motor boat owner. Optio Fuel Flow Sensor.
    Looks like Bluetooth to smartphone

https://www.interactio.co/
    Excellent. £1200 is a bit steep though. But I don’t think there is any competition.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Absolutely! And the chorus of "Are we there yet" from two prepubescent brats for 10 hours vs 2.5 is worth twice the fuel burn should I be shown massively wrong anyway.
    If anyone can give me fuel burn from their KAD300/44 if they have figures for displacement speeds and just comfortably on the plane (not balls to the wall) I'd be very appreciative. I cant see there being that big a difference to it's older sibling.
    Does this help Bruce (obviously you need to convert this to knots for your boat)? ...

That's great Pete, and Vas, it is fairly linear after all.

Belief structure once again propped up. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    That's great Pete, and Vas, it is fairly linear after all.

Belief structure once again propped up. Happy days.
    Not to be the voice of doom and gloom..but doesn't the fuel consumption line on the graph above start at 1,500 rpm. If so, that's not really showing the whole picture...my P50 has a minimal increase in speed between ~780rpm and 1,500 rpm....and a massive increase in fuel burnt. I am not on the boat atm, but I seem to think I was burning maybe at least 70-80 lph between both engines at 1,500 rpm, but only 18 lph between both at 760 rpms. The gain in speed was just a few knots.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-30 at 3.42.44 PM.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S123 View Post
    Not to be the voice of doom and gloom..but doesn't the fuel consumption line on the graph above start at 1,500 rpm. If so, that's not really showing the whole picture...my P50 has a minimal increase in speed between ~780rpm and 1,500 rpm....and a massive increase in fuel burnt. I am not on the boat atm, but I seem to think I was burning maybe at least 70-80 lph between both engines at 1,500 rpm, but only 18 lph between both at 760 rpms. The gain in speed was just a few knots.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-30 at 3.42.44 PM.jpeg
    I’ve never been able to derive anything useful from engine manufacturers fuel graphs. Too many external factors.

Everytime a fella gets comfortable on his pedestal someone wants to kick him off it!

With outdrives puttering at idle isn't going to make more than a couple knots. 1000 rpm for me is going to make ~5 knts. One can extrapolate that from the graph but I dont think it really gets much more efficient than shown in No2 prop load @14k rpm which is about 7 knts and starting to push a wake
    Last edited by BruceK; 04-10-19 at 14:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Iíve never been able to derive anything useful from engine manufacturers fuel graphs. Too many external factors.
    Me too .
    Are they derived from a auto type of dyno meter ?
    If so , no spinning prop(s) in water , no slippage , no fwd motion effect on the props etc etc .
    Thereís a gear box and shafts too plus legs with OD boats .

I know MapisM and I have had disagreements over his consumption and mine .
    I have the electronic inline 6 - 12.8 L MANs with screens so can see the L/h and load % .
    He has 16.4 L iirc ? But V 8 ,s mech injection and from his chart , thereís huge enough discrepancies I suspect on his side , because itís all he has .
    I realise theses charts are all most folks have but I think they are over optimistic.

I think the manufacturers charts are good to compare between engines , but caution should be used for real boat fuel consumption, because as Elassar says thereís too many external factors .

Nonsense! That graph is conservative and it pleases me greatly because I'm returning better, I'm convinced.

What about you Pete? Do your findings corroborate the graph?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast