Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Addicted to the fuel burn gauge

Just to add another dynamic to the equation, I need to do an engine service every 100 hours (also involved a lift out for me I'm afraid) and do around 250 hours a season. This used to be lower as in my first year I went everywhere at 26 knots and now do a fair bit of displacement speed on Autohelm. Whilst my litres per nautical mile has reduced, a good 20% over the first year, I need a minimum of 2 services in a season which does impact on my 'true' price per NM. I do feel we would benefit benefit in having services determined by type of usage as cars do rather than simple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Nonsense! That graph is conservative and it pleases me greatly because I'm returning better, I'm convinced.

What about you Pete? Do your findings corroborate the graph?
    To be honest our fuel consumption is all over the place. Seems to be quite sensitive to sea conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    To be honest our fuel consumption is all over the place. Seems to be quite sensitive to sea conditions.
    Just to give another variable there’s up wind and down wind .
    Even with my arguably lower than av profile boat there’s a noticeable difference .
    Obviously in a 3m head sea going each way ,but even in flat minimal waves any wind assistance or not can be seen on the fuel flow screens .

Another very basic measure I tend to use in addition to the L/hr real time and then the TTG time to target from the plotter is the sight glasses .
    They have handy graduations .
    So in the morning when doing the checks I can see the levels .
    In terms of cm of fuel used per day .That way I can work out how many days fuel ( similar usage pattern planned ) I have to go at before it’s time to buy some more .
    The gauges on the dash ( two day tanks on for each motor ) are like AN other gauge you can’t recall where it was from yesterday , morning , the evening after a trip out .OK it’s gone down just like a cars guage .
    But the sight glass you can see you gone through say 4 cm that day because you saw it say 52 in the morning and now it’s at 48 , next day 42 , gone through 6 cm or what ever so .
    I’d recommend anyone to if possible fit sight glasses , actually a plastic cocked pipe .

with twin KAD 44's on outdrives I average 2.5 miles per gallon,
    From sea trails with Vodia connected the fuel burn is 20 litres per engine per hour at 2000 then 30 litres per hour at 3000 revs, at WOT it then shoots up to 57 Litres per hour, at 3000 revs we are though doing around 35 knots . I just go out and go with a speed that suits the conditions. Once it gets to time to fill up I fill up. the only shock is that I have separate tanks so once 1 is filled I know I have the same again to fill up. Never really worried about fuel used. The point of owning a boat for us is to go and have a fun day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian h View Post
    with twin KAD 44's on outdrives I average 2.5 miles per gallon,
    From sea trails with Vodia connected the fuel burn is 20 litres per engine per hour at 2000 then 30 litres per hour at 3000 revs, at WOT it then shoots up to 57 Litres per hour, at 3000 revs we are though doing around 35 knots . I just go out and go with a speed that suits the conditions. Once it gets to time to fill up I fill up. the only shock is that I have separate tanks so once 1 is filled I know I have the same again to fill up. Never really worried about fuel used. The point of owning a boat for us is to go and have a fun day out.
    LOL...if WOT only used 57lph, I don't think I would worry too much about the fuel use neither. I think the point of everyone owning a boat is to go and have a fun day out.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456