Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting closer to new boat, what do you think?

I'm a total PITA I know, but hopefully I'm very nearly there now. I've viewed many different boats but have got it down to three. I'm pretty sure of my preference (as things stand) but can I ask for your thoughts please?

Maxi 1000 (mid 90's), nice price, not sailed much, needs a good clean.
    Bavaria 350 Sportline (low 1990's), new engine, ex charter, had hard life but well looked after
    Sigma 38 (late 80's), good condition, needs update of cabin, enormous selection of sails

The Maxi is beautiful, but maybe too close in size to my Westerly Storm. The Bavaria has plenty of dents and dings in the cabin, but is very well equipped and serviced. The Sigma has an older engine, but always serviced and concerned the boat might be a little powerful for solo sailing.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
    Last edited by James W; 30-09-19 at 21:39.

Default Re: Getting closer to new boat, what do you think?

We have a Bavaria 350. Ours is the lagoon model, not really sure what the difference is but we have had ours for 5 years now and it is still everything that we wanted in a boat. In that five years we have lived aboard for up to six months at a time, done a little club racing,made several channel crossings in all sorts of weather. She is a good seaboat with a decent turn of speed and is very comfortable both at sea and for just lounging about in port.
    If voting changed anything, they wouldn't let you do it.

Rather depends on relatively prices and your key drivers. I would have thought the Bav has more space and if reengined my have more left in her . I recall lagoon and sportline were different cabins maybe ? But ask on Bav owners website maybe sportline was charter version ? Personally would rule out Sigma due to age but likely to be faster boat . The safe option is the Maxi which always seem pretty but again go on owners site and seem what issues they might have? Based on your comments it really depends on how many units of time you have to sort out the dings in the Bav perhaps and if extra space is key criteria. Don't forget to look at storage on Bav and Maxi as well for any longer trips as I have this impression Maxi are cramped below ?

Get the Bavaria.

I've seen the one you mention and it's a good package.

The Bav 350 was a great boat form the era of v strong build. They had a promo vid of one hitting a rock at 6 kts and remaining unscathed!! Came close to buying one in the early 90s.
    The Sigma was designed for lots of crew down below. Head is almost impossible to use in a seaway, IMHO! Fabulous hull, one of David Thomas' great successes. Had they ever built a 382 I would have bought one and would still have it. It will need a new engine but no prob short handing it with a furler and a captive main luff.
    Don't know the maxi but if its half as good as the 1100 its a great boat.
    Real men do it two handed

Quote Originally Posted by doris View Post
    The Bav 350 was a great boat form the era of v strong build. They had a promo vid of one hitting a rock at 6 kts and remaining unscathed!! Came close to buying one in the early 90s.
    Many cruising boats have the keel/hull join at an angle to absorb grounding stresses but I believe that Bavarias of that period had a step in the join for the same reason, which seemed a good idea. My memory is that they were a bit gloomy inside and probably gave less sailing satisfaction than the other two, but would be a sound buy for a boat than would get you there.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

After sleeping on it, i'm now unsure if any would better than my Westerly Storm with a few quid thrown at it. Better the devil you know and all that......

Also, I made the mistake of consulting with my kids. They were not best pleased that "their" boat might be sold for another!

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post

Also, I made the mistake of consulting with my kids. They were not best pleased that "their" boat might be sold for another!
    Ha ha, consulting the nippers eh????? Always a brave move!
    Real men do it two handed

I have to say, I see little advantage in either the Bavaria or the Maxi over the Storm, obviously the Sigma will give you more space. If seriously considering the Maxi, check out the length of the bunks; I looked at one many years ago and seem to recall they were a little on the short side.

Quote Originally Posted by richardbrennan View Post
    I have to say, I see little advantage in either the Bavaria or the Maxi over the Storm, obviously the Sigma will give you more space. If seriously considering the Maxi, check out the length of the bunks; I looked at one many years ago and seem to recall they were a little on the short side.
    I really liked the Maxi, but it was a little on the cramped side unfortunately. Lovely looking thing though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast