Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Gas and Petrol Storage

Gas and petrol in 'covered lockers' that drain overboard. Main engine being petrol, I carry a fair amount of the stuff on holiday and have found plastic containers best. Steel rust, and then slowly deposit contents overboard as I found out many years ago.

A related question. For our small 2-stroke I make up a two stroke mixture, add fuel stabiliser and carry that in a plastic five litre container. Is this as or less dangerous than petrol alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Poey50 View Post
    A related question. For our small 2-stroke I make up a two stroke mixture, add fuel stabiliser and carry that in a plastic five litre container. Is this as or less dangerous than petrol alone?
    There's no significant difference.

Richard

Its the petrol vapour that ignites not the liquid

Whats the fuel stabiliser for? We routinely have fuel in cans for 3 months or more. Never had a problem with fuel especially in a two stroke. If you can find any scientific evidence that fuel additives work please let us know

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    Whats the fuel stabiliser for? We routinely have fuel in cans for 3 months or more. Never had a problem with fuel especially in a two stroke. If you can find any scientific evidence that fuel additives work please let us know
    I suppose it depends on what you would accept as evidence. I'm still using a 2 stroke mixture plus stabiliser that I made up over a year ago. My Tohaty 3.5hp starts third pull every time and never complains. So if your hypothesis is that that particular snake oil never stabilises fuel up to a year then I have successfully refuted it with my single data point.

Richard S and Old Harry - thanks. The can of 2-stroke mixture is now headed for the draining anchor locker.

I suppose it depends on what you would accept as evidence. I'm still using a 2 stroke mixture plus stabiliser that I made up over a year ago. My Tohaty 3.5hp starts third pull every time and never complains. So if your hypothesis is that that particular snake oil never stabilises fuel up to a year then I have successfully refuted it with my single data point.
    I don't see any evidence that it works any better than without as my outboard and Honda generator run fine on up to 12 months old fuel and the home strimmer and chain saw run on even older stuff, without any additives. The secret is in keeping cans and fuel tanks air tight.

We were away sailing for 20 months. We left the cars with a bit of petrol in them. As soon as we got back I booked them both in for an MOT. Both passed emissions with no problem. They ran fine. Why do you need fuel additives.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    We were away sailing for 20 months. We left the cars with a bit of petrol in them. As soon as we got back I booked them both in for an MOT. Both passed emissions with no problem. They ran fine. Why do you need fuel additives.
    Oh ... I thought you were content up to three months. If you're confident up to 20 months then you should certainly avoid additives.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123