Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Biggest polluter of our seas

Quote Originally Posted by ross84 View Post
    I feel like China gets the blame but remember most of EU/US plastic is shipped to China/East-Asia for 'reprocessing' in empty shipping containers (see trade deficit!) but most of it is condemned and ends up in landfill/the ocean. China recently banned this, which meant it has ended up in other developing countries where environmental protections are lax.

As for the shipping - yes another dirty trick to get past environmental legislation! These companies are basically profiting by externalising costs onto the environmental and thus onto us all. From the Independent, my bold:
    On a point of information, very few nations have spent money on reception arrangements for scrubber sludge. That would involve land based tax payers actually doing something. Which is why most shipowners will be going with low sulphur fuel oil.

And what will happen to the high sulphur fuel oil? It will get burned in power stations, instead.

Understand and totally agree with all the stuff about plastic rubbish. OK.

But back to the OP. Just because some other form of pollution is worse, why shouldnt marine engine pollution be put on the front page too?

I spent many years sailing in the Straits of Gibraltar and Im sure we all know the concentration of shipping operating there. Whenever the wind drops, fortunately not too often, the air quality is shocking. You can taste it as well as see it. So it goes on all the time but mostly gets blown away. Brown, noxious layer. Yuk.

Im fairly certain the worst polluters are the ferries, both high speed and traditional that mebbe do in total more than 100 movements across the Straits every day. The evidence is there for all to see. And smell.....

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Understand and totally agree with all the stuff about plastic rubbish. OK.

But back to the OP. Just because some other form of pollution is worse, why shouldnt marine engine pollution be put on the front page too?

I spent many years sailing in the Straits of Gibraltar and Im sure we all know the concentration of shipping operating there. Whenever the wind drops, fortunately not too often, the air quality is shocking. You can taste it as well as see it. So it goes on all the time but mostly gets blown away. Brown, noxious layer. Yuk.

Im fairly certain the worst polluters are the ferries, both high speed and traditional that mebbe do in total more than 100 movements across the Straits every day. The evidence is there for all to see. And smell.....
    Because something is being done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 38mess View Post
    That's a load of tosh. I would love like to see the source of this fake news.
    Click on the link. Doesnt seem that false to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Because something is being done about it.
    Is this true?

For every ton of fuel burned, ships using open-loop scrubbers emit approximately 45 tons of warm, acidic, contaminated washwater containing carcinogens including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and heavy metals, according to the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT), a non-profit organisation that provides scientific analysis to environmental regulators.

Not picking a fight here, but I want to understand it.

Is this true?

For every ton of fuel burned, ships using open-loop scrubbers emit approximately 45 tons of warm, acidic, contaminated washwater containing carcinogens including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and heavy metals, according to the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT), a non-profit organisation that provides scientific analysis to environmental regulators.

Not picking a fight here, but I want to understand it.
    I posted links to a whole series of articles, written by me, earlier in this thread.

Open loop scrubbers were developed as a response to “IMO 20/20” Happy Googling.

Soo... is it true?

Soo... is it true?
    You are now trolling.

I give up. I have other things to do with my time. Bye.

This seems to me a classic piece of sensationalism.
    What it really means is for every ton of oil burnt the exhaust is washed with 45 tons of clean sea water. When that is discharged it will still be sea water but with the addition of the contaminants. It probably still isn't a good idea but lets get the facts right first. You can't make 45 tons from 1 ton

Of cause none of this sort of thing is new. I used to run one of the last carburetted Range Rovers. To comply with emission regulations they bled fresh air into the exhaust pipe (know as pulse air) It did nothing about making the engine run cleaner but the percentage of dirt bits in the exhaust was lower so they past the limits ok. BMW did the same with the last of the "air head" flat twin motorcycles.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast