Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jeanneau SO35 Jabsco head fittings

Before I start undoing them does anyone know if the series of bolts that hold down the base unit of a Jabsco heads onto the GRP inner moulding go into captive nuts under the GRP moulding?

If the nuts are not captive it will mean cutting a hand sized hole in the nice smooth easy to clean base inner moulding, which I'd obviously prefer not to do. Or does anyone know of a small very long armed tame lemur or gibbon that can be taught how to hold new nuts in place. No way can I get a hand anywhere near them - tried yesterday.

I'm hoping Jeanneau weren't thinking the heads would last the life of the boat. So far everything I've needed to maintain/change has been (just) accessible, though not always easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Jeanneau SO35 Jabsco head fittings

I replaced the Jabsco toilet on my Jeanneau SO 32.2 recently. I wondered about this as well. But the screws just unscrewed and screwed back in no problem. … maybe it’s the same on your boat?

On Beneteau 393 they are coach screws that go into a wood block underneath the fibreglass.

Beneteau oceanis 31. Bolts just unscrew and screw back without any problem

On my older Jeanneau 45.2 the screws can be taken out and refitted without needing access underneath. I have replaced a Jabsco base without problems.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

The unit is held in place by coach bolts on my 2009 42DS. It looks as if the base has a block of wood, probably ply, encapsulated in the fibreglass. I would imagine that this is a pretty common method of fixing as it provides a strong base, is easily fitted and is simple to dismantle.

I understand your worry but don't think even Jeanneau would be silly enough to use loose nuts in an area you can't reach. I don't imagine that they mount the heads on the inner moulding before assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    Before I start undoing them does anyone know if the series of bolts that hold down the base unit of a Jabsco heads onto the GRP inner moulding go into captive nuts under the GRP moulding?

If the nuts are not captive it will mean cutting a hand sized hole in the nice smooth easy to clean base inner moulding, which I'd obviously prefer not to do. Or does anyone know of a small very long armed tame lemur or gibbon that can be taught how to hold new nuts in place. No way can I get a hand anywhere near them - tried yesterday.

I'm hoping Jeanneau weren't thinking the heads would last the life of the boat. So far everything I've needed to maintain/change has been (just) accessible, though not always easy.
    As others have said, assuming the same as on Beneteau, coach bolts which have cut their own thread in the grp. Do make sure when you refit them that they re-engage in the same thread in the grp so as not to do any damage. Once the thread in the grp is damaged you have a much bigger problem.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mistroma View Post
    The unit is held in place by coach bolts on my 2009 42DS. It looks as if the base has a block of wood, probably ply, encapsulated in the fibreglass. I would imagine that this is a pretty common method of fixing as it provides a strong base, is easily fitted and is simple to dismantle.

I understand your worry but don't think even Jeanneau would be silly enough to use loose nuts in an area you can't reach. I don't imagine that they mount the heads on the inner moulding before assembly.
    If that's the case it's probably OK to take off and replace once or twice, but it's a pretty horrible piece of construction long-term. I've already epoxied captive S/S nuts in lots of places on the boat to replace self-tappers with machine screws: just can't get at the back here to do the same without cutting a hole.

I'll undo one bolt tomorrow as a start and see what I find.

I think rather a lot of stuff was mounted on the inner mouldings before they were glued into place during build.

Follow-up in case anyone else ever searches for the same thing. They are small S/S coach bolts. I was planning to replace the base unit as internally it and the very bottom of the porcelain bowl was black-crusted with limescale, but some brick acid (hydrochloric) left in 15 minutes plus an old toothbrush cleaned it to spotless. Photo before cleaned externally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the follow up, good information to have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast