Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Red Funnel loses anchor on approach to Cowes

[QUOTE=Neeves;6932555]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post

The very word, 'Kenter'.

And whilst on the subject - why is a chain length called a shackle when shackle has an entirely (or almost entirely) different meaning.

Jonathan
    It means length between shackles, so the word "shackle" isn't being used as a dimension. Counting the number of shackles out gives you the total length. That's how I understand it!

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    The main chain, in the water, and the 'spare' chain (that they used to anchor the ship as they retrieved the lost portion) were a different size and the spare did not fit the windlass - yet it passed survey.
    How did they recover the spare anchor?

Pete

[QUOTE=Neeves;6932555]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post

The very word, 'Kenter'.

And whilst on the subject - why is a chain length called a shackle when shackle has an entirely (or almost entirely) different meaning.

Jonathan
    I don't know, I accept as it "just is".

Traditionally anchor cable has been made in lengths of 15 fathoms or 90 feet. with it being marked at the shackle so length of the cable is traditionally called out by shackle. So one shackle of cable is 90ft or 15 fathoms.
    Even on ships with metric cable counters on the anchor system to measure length in meters.
    The cable itself is made up of 90 ft long 15 fathom sections joined by shackles with traditional paint and wire markings.
    Is this still standard or just some ships? I don't know.

The Americans charts still use feet and fathoms, So It may come in handy occasionally

Why?
    Tradition
    Last edited by Uricanejack; 08-10-19 at 00:03.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    How did they recover the spare anchor?

Pete
    A diver attached a rope of sufficient strength to take the weight of the chain, it was not deep - guessing around 10m (we had anchored in 5m and they were not that far away).. They had a capstan that allowed them to lift the chain which they manoeuvred through the 'empty' hawse pipe. They joined 'lost' chain to the chain, from which it had broken off, on the windlass .

They ran the windlass which they sprayed with seawater as a means of lubrication and then as the links jammed they took a sledge hammer (a full sized thing) and belted the link so that it could be forced into the gypsy. Only every, I don't recall, 3 - 5th link would irretrievable jamb - needing the sledge hammer. As we had been instrumental in finding the anchor, we actually found the chain, we were invited on board to witness the retrieval.

The whole thing became even more complicated as this all took some time and at one point they had the 2 chains crossed, I don't recall why (wind or tide) and the lost anchor became tangled in the chain to which they were 'attached' to the seabed. This required them both trying to untwist the 2 rodes (move the ship), drop the errant anchor (so that it freed from the chain) and then re-lifting when the anchor was clear.

It was one of those times when if something could go wrong - it did.

Being a cruise ship with accomodation the ship had large deep freezes which were fairly full. When the fiasco was completed they served up a meal from the freezers.

The ship had a skeleton crew, a Master (who was only on board for the delivery - not a full time employee), the chief engineer and maybe another 3. The bad weather that had been forecast, and from which we were sheltering, had necessitated their boarding up all the windows on the passenger decks with plywood - they had made the right preparations. I suspect they sold this ship as it does not ply the Harbour any more.

It was all quite entertaining.

The bit that I found interesting was the fact it had passed survey - being a guest I did not ask (what I thought to be) an embarrassing question.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 08-10-19 at 02:10.

It would seem anchor now found and to be refitted as part of the annual maintenance in November. I assume this year ...........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49985918

Not sure why it wouldn't be in good condition... Don't understand delay in reinstalling it.

W.

The surprise would be if it wasn't in good condition. How would you damage an anchor like that short of a big angle grinder?

As for the delay, if the boat's scheduled to come out of service in a month, why disrupt things? They've got a spare and I don't suppose either has ever been used in anger. If conditions are such that one anchor might not hold, I reckon they'd be staying safely tucked up in Southampton Port anyway
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

The anchor is probably fine but the chain locker and windlass might need some work.

They have now discovered that the unexpected anchor deployment caused damaged and the ship has been removed from service.

"an internal inspection has now revealed additional damage to the internal gear linkages inside the vesselís Aft Voith propeller."

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/red-fun...cancellations/

Seems like the RF line now hit by telephone problems ? Sad as their vessels are distinctly better than the Wightlink competetion and the bar crew always seem reasonably cheerful IMHO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast