Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New engine but which oil......

I've seen a few threads about engine oil over the years and have been comfortable with what to put in my old Thorneycroft engine.

Now I have purchased a shiny new engine (Sole 42 - Mitsubishi based), I have the following oil recommendation to meet: ACEA E5/E3 or API CH-4/SJ grade 15w40
    The service intervals quoted by the manufacturer is 250Hrs (which feels uncomfortably long on a boat engine...) so I am keen to use an oil that is likely to last this long.

- Any recommendations of make/Type? It's a bewildering range of choices.......

Thanks.
    Work is for people who don't know how to sail!

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: New engine but which oil......

Select any big name manufacturer. All will have gone through stringent industry tests and will be totally satisfactory.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

As Vyv says - just look for the 15W40 bit, semi synthetic would be my choice. I use this stuff in my Cummins 6BT5.9M (Thornycroft), but mainly because it was free from a client who used the stuff in there emergency supply generators..

Duron HP 15W40

Shell Rimula R4 15W40 is another popular choice.

The API standard CH4 is a laid down standard, so the make doesn't really matter, as long as the oil complies with this standard.

From Google search - took around 4 seconds to find

CH4 - Current - Introduced in 1998. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 1998 exhaust emission standards. CH-4 oils are specifically compounded for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place of CD, CE, CF-4, and CG-4 oils.

Be aware most Thornycroft were simply a name applied to someone else's engine once marinised.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Mine is most likely the same engine (Mitsubishi S4L) but marinised by Thornycroft, it's old tech and Thornycroft specified mineral oil. Mitsubishi manual specifies CD grade, which is obsolete. https://www.manualslib.com/products/...l-4028224.html

On my Beta 25, Kubota based, I was told it must be a Mineral oil 15w40. Engine seems fine after over 1000 hrs, never uses any oil between annual changes.

Thanks all that replied.

Google had already shown those items however, I am still undecided about Mineral Vs Semi-synthetic. I have read a lot of the prose on here and other places but it seems that it's a personal choice rather than any overwhelming technical fact.

I'm slightly nervous at going 250Hrs between oil changes - does anyone else leave it that long?
    Work is for people who don't know how to sail!

Quote Originally Posted by Piddy View Post
    Thanks all that replied.

Google had already shown those items however, I am still undecided about Mineral Vs Semi-synthetic. I have read a lot of the prose on here and other places but it seems that it's a personal choice rather than any overwhelming technical fact.

I'm slightly nervous at going 250Hrs between oil changes - does anyone else leave it that long?
    250 hr equates to approx 10k mls in a car, if thats any help

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
    On my Beta 25, Kubota based, I was told it must be a Mineral oil 15w40. Engine seems fine after over 1000 hrs, never uses any oil between annual changes.
    Gen-yew-whine Kubota own brand oil appears to be CI4 CH4 ACEA E7 FWIW

Q: Can I use synthetic oil in my Kubota engine?

A: Kubota recommends oil with an API rating of CF or higher. If the synthetic oil meets those standards, it can be used in Kubota engines.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Piddy View Post
    Thanks all that replied.

I fully understand why you might be concerned at leaving oil change to what is possibly 5 years
    Does the book not have X hours or Y years
    Perhaps I am old fashioned but oil and filters each year as a minimum seems right despite what the book says

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    250 hr equates to approx 10k mls in a car, if thats any help
    Probably even less than 10,000 miles ..... and my diesel car has manufacturer oil change every 25,000 miles which would be over 800 hours in a boat.

250 hours between oil changes using synthetic oil would be throwing away oil in virtually new condition unless seawater is finding it's way into the sump. However, your metal to metal friction surfaces would last forever under such a regime.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast