Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Anchor thread - which is most likely to fall off your boat?

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    If you're lucky. Then you could get one that actually works
    Steady on, according to Force4, they have legendary performance:

https://www.force4.co.uk/cqr-anchor-...sed-steel.html

Should I not believe what I read on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post

They do have legendary performance

But it does help to ensure your anchor is secure if you attach it to a chain with a moused (or Loctite) shackle. Apparently its a common method of securement (though it might not always be mentioned on the internet - it would be assumed you know)

Observation suggests that many dispense with mousing wire (and possibly don't know about Loctite) and consider blind faith, especially including swivels, and a rusty cotter pin in the shackle will be more than sufficient to keep their anchor and chain in close proximity. Blind faith, constant repetition of internet (un)truths and guessing have no place on critical elements of a yacht.

Jonathan.
    Last edited by Neeves; 02-10-19 at 23:49.

Youre confusing legendary with mythical.

They probably do work in the right ground but the old guys reccommended 45lb minimum which is about 20kg. Lesser weights seem to penetrate poorly. My 7.5kg version (about 18lb) is almost useless but chained up on foredeck as spare or oversize kedge, and I really would not worry too much if it fell off or even got stolen - unlike my manson supreme spare on the other boat
    A boat is for going places

I'm happy with legendary - compared to a fishermans. I genuinely believe their advantgages were not mythical and they were a real improvement until the introduction of the Bruce (in 1970 - ish). On the assumption that Danforth, being American, never caught the imagination of the, then, Empire.

But I'm, far, too young to remember - and stand to be corrected.

Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambledegg View Post
    No, I think most people's toe rails would keep marbles quite nicely on board.
    That idea could be scuppered...

Mike.

Following the ferry incident, I wondered if I would be more at risk of losing my old CQR (copy I think) than a new generation anchor. Discuss
    I note on inspection of ground tackle that many owners rely on the clutch of their windlass to secure their anchor and rode. There is no sign of a chain lock, pin though an appropriate hole in the anchor shank, no lashing. The windlass and gypsy are deck mounted - there is no visible sign of anchor and rode securement - other than the clutch. Given this lack of attention it is equally possible the bitter end is also not secure.

Clutches slip - which would have, predictable, consequencies.

I do recall a member here on leaving the UK for the Med lost his rode and Spade anchor on passing The Needles - but don't recall who (maybe fortunately) nor when.

It does happen - I confess our clutch slipped and we laid our rode across the seabed where we had intended to anchor and the stainless shackle securing the bitter end - failed.

It does happen (we retrieved the next day).

It was the Manson CQR clone - but I really don't think I can apportion any blame to the 'CQR'.

its all about learning from one's mistakes.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Youre confusing legendary with mythical.
    I've spent well into 3 figures of nights on the hook with a CQR all over the Hebrides. Not dragged once despite some interesting conditions.

I'm sure new gen anchors may have higher ultimate holding, but the 34lb cqr has proved to be perfectly adequate so far. Just a bit less fashionable.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I've spent well into 3 figures of nights on the hook with a CQR all over the Hebrides. Not dragged once despite some interesting conditions.
    I'm sure new gen anchors may have higher ultimate holding, but the 34lb cqr has proved to be perfectly adequate so far. Just a bit less fashionable.
    Its that bit about minimum weight for CQR. Maybe 45lb is not minimum but 34lb is ok. All of us smaller boat sailors would find 34lb disproportionate and I can assure you that the lighter ones don't work in practice in most grounds - they might be ok in medium hard mud but they plough soft mud or sand and drag giving long furrows and they fail to penetrate harder ground. I am an aged engineer and not remotely interested in fashion in clothes anchors boats or anything else - I just care about effectiveness, usability and cost
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Not just about ultimate holding, try going cruising on a variety of different bottoms trying out both you'll soon join everyone else saying they're rubbish compared with new gens
    If yours works where you are then why would you want to change of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Not just about ultimate holding, try going cruising on a variety of different bottoms trying out both you'll soon join everyone else saying they're rubbish compared with new gens
    If yours works where you are then why would you want to change of course.
    Fair enough, that may well be the case but can't really comment other than what we have works adequately in Scottish sand an mud.

Perhaps I'll buy a new gen one at some point...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast