Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New engine key

Default Re: New engine key

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    If one has a battery isolation switch below, so it's locked away when the boat's unattended, is there any point in a key switch? Would a suitable turn button switch do as well for less than the cost of a key?
    That is why I ordered my new Nanni engine with the "flybridge" panel, which has a press-button on-off switch in place of a key.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    If one has a battery isolation switch below, so it's locked away when the boat's unattended, is there any point in a key switch?
    No, and the standard controls for our Volvo D1-30 don't include one. Just four membrane switches (on/off, start, stop, and one that silences alarms) on a small rectangular panel. All the feedback comes via a little LCD in the tacho.

Our previous boat's Yanmar keyswitch was completely knackered, and I replaced it with a chunky 90º turn switch (you do have to watch out for the rating, as it carries something like 25amps from memory). That panel was in the cabin, just just under the companion hatch and reachable from the tiller.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    If you think that's expensive try getting the plastic cover for the keyhole!

(I've been using the plastic cap off a water bottle).
    Good idea!

Got a couple on the boat you could have FOC, I had a new 3YM30 fitted two years ago with an electronic panel, won't be there for a couple of weeks though...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I'm sure Timpson won't be able to help .....
    Timsons in Gosport did keys for my Nanni 4150HE.

It was a bit of a mission, it sort of rang a bell and he had a look in his book and then ordered one but it was the wrong way around or something, and then he finally got the right one after some weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12