Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rogue Waves

Default Re: Rogue Waves

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    The Ben Line cargo liner Bencruachan fell into a hole off Durban and survived but was slightly bent. 2nd May 1973.

One my favourite ships,sailed on her before and after the "concorde incident".....The story I heard was that she was saved from a plunge to the bottom because the for,d hold was loaded with kapock which kept her afloat

Jimi,

yes his name was Leo and he became paranoid because every time his name was mentioned everyone ducked and ran to the other side of the boat...

Jumbleduck,

if rogue waves are now accepted by science, doesn't that mean they're not ' rogue ' any more, sporadic, episodal or something ?
    Last edited by Seajet; 03-10-19 at 20:42.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Findhorn View Post
    One my favourite ships,sailed on her before and after the "concorde incident".....The story I heard was that she was saved from a plunge to the bottom because the for,d hold was loaded with kapock which kept her afloat
    Front full of kapok eh, that dates her and your good self - reminds me of the 1960's Batman film when the Batcopter is shot down, next second they're walking down the street dusting themselves off;

" Holy Cow Batman, lucky to crash into the only rubber wholesaler in town ! "

" Yes Robin, the chances would make the most fevered gambler cringe "

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I wasn’t involved in the Bencruachan case but I was involved in a small way after the event in the Neptune Sapphire case. I think the Benledi class may have had a deep tank in way of no.1 /no.2? The perfect ring fracture of the Neptune Sapphire gave rise to some comment and there were out of court settlements...

I'm guessing a deep tank in No.1 would have the opposite effect of loads of kapok; hopefully all these ships made it to port ?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I'm guessing a deep tank in No.1 would have the opposite effect of loads of kapok; hopefully all these ships made it to port ?
    A deep tank will have bulkheads either side, so two bulkheads for the price of one, so to speak...

The two ships in the 1973 cases made it into port and no-one was hurt; the Waratah was posted missing with all aboard her...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Waratah
    Last edited by Kukri; 03-10-19 at 21:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I wasn’t involved in the Bencruachan case but I was involved in a small way after the event in the Neptune Sapphire case. I think the Benledi class may have had a deep tank in way of no.1 /no.2? The perfect ring fracture of the Neptune Sapphire gave rise to some comment and there were out of court settlements...
    Yes ,if my distant memory is correct there was a deep tank in way of No.1 which was used to carry latex when I sailed on her...Latex and bilge pumps do not get on well together !...thank god for the kapok

I sailed with a RO who had been on Bencruachan and regularly exchanged messages with those aboard. I believe she regularly had a female RO, quite unusual back then. The story I heard was that she was pressing on a bit to maintain the liner timetable and possibly pressed on a bit too much given the bad weather and the cape rollers. Not uncommon if true, then, now and even back in Titanic days.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    I sailed with a RO who had been on Bencruachan and regularly exchanged messages with those aboard. I believe she regularly had a female RO, quite unusual back then. The story I heard was that she was pressing on a bit to maintain the liner timetable and possibly pressed on a bit too much given the bad weather and the cape rollers. Not uncommon if true, then, now and even back in Titanic days.
    That coincides well with the story I heard...She was slamming hard and causing the turbines to hit the thrust limits..but the old man allegedly refused to allow a reduction in speed..the 2nd engineer knowing the consequenses of turbine failure had begun to gradually reduce the revs without permission when she hit the big one.....all hearsay of course but knowing the characters involved I could believe it

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Jimi,

yes his name was Leo and he became paranoid because every time his name was mentioned everyone ducked and ran to the other side of the boat...

Jumbleduck,

if rogue waves are now accepted by science, doesn't that mean they're not ' rogue ' any more, sporadic, episodal or something ?
    First of all, I'm new to this sailing m'larky and I still laughed at that one.

Jumbleduck will probably agree (hopefully) that they'll still remain 'rogue waves'. They're not rogue because they're 'random', they're rogue because they don't fit the norm. According to Wikipedia they are also known as 'Episodal Waves', though I've never heard that term used before.

from Etymonline.org
    In playful or affectionate use, "one who is mischievous," 1590s. Meaning "large wild beast living apart from the herd" is from 1859, originally of elephants. Meaning "something uncontrolled or undisciplined" is from 1964. Also common in 17c. as a verb. Rogue's gallery "police collection of mug shots" is attested from 1859.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast