Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Rogue Waves

Default Re: Rogue Waves

The old seadog gets hit.... Just before 11'

I was happily hauling gear in my ten metre crabber in waves of max 47ft, as shown on the echo sounder....but it was otherwise flat glassy calm. Big ships were having a hard time of it though. Interesting thing I didn’t realise for a long time: when big swells come ashore, if the wave period goes up from about 12secs to 18 secs we get inundations like the storms of 2014, and a big ship of the right length would suffer. Long period waves hold a lot more water. Also combined with low pressure on that occasion.

When I say happily hauling, I had one hand on the winch control all the time, hitching in the bottom while on the rise could be a problem.

' Waves of 47 ' ----?
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    ' Waves of 47 ' ----?
    Yes, it was very calm, no wind, but huge ground swell over a bit of shallow 15fm or so off the Lizard, the meter showed the max at 47ft. Peak to trough.

Rather you than me, Chum !

47' sounds a bit much, but I've been out in 10'+ swells in the western Channel and it was as smooth as you like. It was a bit like a road I drove down once, dead straight, up a hill, over the top, down the other side and up the next one. Repeat for several miles. A world of difference from a 10' chop in the Solent - that's one big chunk of no thanks.

What makes the difference is the Solent chop, even when it's only a few feet, has a wavelength of maybe 3 times the height, the swells had a wavelength of 100 yards or more
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    47' sounds a bit much, but I've been out in 10'+ swells in the western Channel and it was as smooth as you like. It was a bit like a road I drove down once, dead straight, up a hill, over the top, down the other side and up the next one. Repeat for several miles. A world of difference from a 10' chop in the Solent - that's one big chunk of no thanks.

What makes the difference is the Solent chop, even when it's only a few feet, has a wavelength of maybe 3 times the height, the swells had a wavelength of 100 yards or more
    The first time I went round the Mull of Kintyre in my 21' Jouster the swells were so bit that we regularly lost site of the land although we were probably only a hundred yards off. A bigger yacht which overtook us kept disappearing too. Most disconcerting. As in your case it was completely smooth otherwise - and a good thing too, as we were using a Seagull 40 to get round.

I suspect that pig swells like that are quite common in exposed places (south of Mull, for example) but they are only really noticeable when you're near land or other boats.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

This is why even the 130' J Class had high set ' Solent Jibs ' - the short frequency tall, square fronted short waves of the ' Solent Chop ' are infamous - only 6' or so high, stop most boats dead - then clobber and poop them...

This happened to us in an unforecast F7 gusting 11, we got through by playing the sheets like a racing dinghy and simply hanging on
    Last edited by Seajet; 07-10-19 at 13:56.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Yes, it was very calm, no wind, but huge ground swell over a bit of shallow 15fm or so off the Lizard, the meter showed the max at 47ft. Peak to trough.
    What was the depth on the non shallow areas? Obviously as a big swell approaches a shallower area the period shortens and the height increases. That plus an offshore wind is what makes a perfect surfing wave. Interestingly. most of the surf spots in Cornwall and Devon are off the North Coast rather than South Coast . If you look at a map of the UK you can see why. There's only a very small angle for a long ocean swell to reach the South Coast.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Very true; it's also why the southern Cornish coast has all the nice expensive harbours with spiffing boats and crumpet, while the northern places and Rick Stein can get knotted, at least for seagoing travel

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast