Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: If they can't see rocks and a lighthouse, what chance do we have?

If he was bright he would take it off track mode to save fuel - tidal currents would add a lot of wastage at that low speed. But in this case it’s hardly likely he did that planning.

From South Devon, living SE coast Spain, boat in S.Spain

I banned mobiles on the bridge, and took some flak.
    M.
    Bavaria 44
    Retro navigation - the way forward

Warned twice he was heading into danger, and still managed to hit it!
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Around the time I started sailing, I read a MAIB report about a coaster heading East along the Channel. IIRC, the captain was Russian, first mate was Polish and there was a handful of Filipino seamen. First mate's on watch at night with a bottle of whisky to keep him company. Eventually he gets bored, so disconnects the bridge alarm, a gadget that goes off every few minutes and wakes the skipper if it isn't cancelled, and goes to his cabin to cuddle his bottle. The first anyone else knew about it was when, after missing a planned change of course, the boat steamed full ahead up Dungeness Point.

Ever since then I've always assumed, absent any evidence to the contrary, that any cargo vessel I meet is being driven with the same level of competence.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    If he was bright he would take it off track mode to save fuel - tidal currents would add a lot of wastage at that low speed.
    He's not paying for the fuel, so if he's bright he'll let it carry on following the planned and signed-off-on course rather than employing ad-hoc cunning wheezes of his own. While monitoring to ensure that the ship truly is following the plan, of course, instead of getting stuck into his YouTube playlist.

Like LadyInBed, I'm utterly baffled as to why he'd take it off ECDIS track mode onto a basic heading-hold. Boredom, laziness, and inattention aren't hard to explain, but this is. I wonder what this pilot did that meant he preferred it to the other one?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Totally inexplicable as to why the OOW took the Autopilot off Track mode.
    Doubt he knew the difference. He didn’t see the significance of the lighthouse on his starboard bow or have the situational awareness to steer south when warned. He was both careless and incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    If he was bright he would take it off track mode to save fuel - tidal currents would add a lot of wastage at that low speed. But in this case it’s hardly likely he did that planning.

That’s only true if there is a change of tidal stream direction during the passage. There wasn’t. And there is no way that officer had the wherewithal to consider this and calculate a CTS. He just didn’t know what he was doing.

A couple of beers and not much sleep probably didn't help.
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    A couple of beers and not much sleep probably didn't help.
    A combination that's killed a good many people, and not just at sea. Fatigue is probably one of the biggest inducers of terminal stupidity.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Totally inexplicable as to why the OOW took the Autopilot off Track mode.
    I never use track mode - in fact it doesn't work for some reason - but then the boat isn't carrying 3,000 tons of fertiliser!
    Andrew

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast