Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: If they can't see rocks and a lighthouse, what chance do we have?

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    A couple of beers and not much sleep probably didn't help.
    Bit like that Irish bloke who nearly fell off his canoe in L'Aber Wrac'h after a long trip and a few beers too many!
    Good night though

I was trained as Merchant Navy Navigation Officer by a well established, deep sea, British shipping line - Bank Line. The standards drilled in to us were high, everything was done by the book and it was a matter of personal pride that we were professionals. The Dutch, German’s, Scandinavia’s, American’s and Japanese all had reputations for similar high standards.

I also sailed during university holidays as Chief Mate on a Panamanian registered 3,000 ton coaster with an alcoholic Armenian Captain. One night I came on watch and discovered that we were 12 miles South of our plotted course and about 20 minutes away from steaming at full speed into a lump of France. The paper chart showed 6 hourly plots exactly on our planned course, the last one being at 0600 which was after the Captain had left the bridge because I had relieved him a bit early. I am convinced that the drunk has taken over the watch at 24.00, pre marked the chart with 6 “plots” and slept for his 6 hour watch.

I have also steamed past numerous ships and fishing boats deep sea with no one being visible on the bridge or answering the vhf. I now assume that every ship has no one awake on the bridge and that they will not notice me in my little yacht.

If you can be that incompetent and still get a job...
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

A cluster f***. There needs to be a prosecution for this.

I think the VTSO should have said “turn to port immediately, if safe to do so as you will otherwise run aground in 1 minute. Turn left 90 degrees onto a southerly heading now if safe to do so”. This is what would happen in aviation. I’m not blaming them though, just that their procedures are too constrained.

Interesting to note that about 20 cargo ships run aground in British waters every year.

A useful reminder that you can’t rely on being seen.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Bit like that Irish bloke who nearly fell off his canoe in L'Aber Wrac'h after a long trip and a few beers too many!
    Good night though
    We really don't want an inquiry into that one.
    ۞

Reminds me of a sizable oil tanker that drove itself up a beach on a small island in broad daylight in the Bristol channel a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    A cluster f***. There needs to be a prosecution for this.

I think the VTSO should have said “turn to port immediately, if safe to do so as you will otherwise run aground in 1 minute. Turn left 90 degrees onto a southerly heading now if safe to do so”. This is what would happen in aviation. I’m not blaming them though, just that their procedures are too constrained.

Interesting to note that about 20 cargo ships run aground in British waters every year.

A useful reminder that you can’t rely on being seen.
    How long before the UK runs on the rocks under our present incompetent Captain

Total incompetence, I wonder i wonder if he wil keep his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I wouldn't be too hard on the VTS which is primarily responsible for the movement of traffic within Scapa Flow and the Orkney harbour areas: "Orkney Harbour Authority operates a 24hr port VTS Information Service from its operations room at Scapa for vessels navigating in Scapa Flow and Kirkwall Bay / Shapinsay Sound areas."

As far as I am aware, neither Orkney Islands Council nor its VTS has no jurisdiction or authority over vessels in the Pentland Firth.

I'd say full marks to Orkney VTS for alerting the coastguard in the first place and for continuing to monitor the Priscilla's "progress".
    Last edited by Sgeir; 07-10-19 at 12:40. Reason: Bollocks: missed the "no" in "no jurisdiction"....
    Ω

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    Total incompetence, I wonder i wonder if he wil keep his job.
    I very much doubt it. Quite possibly prosecuted as well. The MAIB don't mention these things as they want to distance themselves from any thoughts of blame and punishment (to help ensure people talk to them as freely as possible). But that doesn't mean they don't happen.

Pete

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast