Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: If they can't see rocks and a lighthouse, what chance do we have?

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I very much doubt it. Quite possibly prosecuted as well. The MAIB don't mention these things as they want to distance themselves from any thoughts of blame and punishment (to help ensure people talk to them as freely as possible). But that doesn't mean they don't happen.

Pete
    +1 Dismissed for gross misconduct must be a near certainty.

Notwithstanding this, the company's insurers are most unlikely to accept the rogue employee explanation given the contribution sloppy work practices made to the accident.
    Last edited by dom; 07-10-19 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
    I never use track mode - in fact it doesn't work for some reason
    Slightly off topic but if your Autohelm is connected to the Plotter it should work. Your Cross Track Error setting should be set to a narrow limit.
    I find it very useful, pop in a WP, press GoTo, press Track on the AH. Boat makes the appropriate course change, I can then make any sail adjustment, then go back to Auto and make any fine adjustment I think necessary.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Anybody else surprised how young the officers were?
    (Master and first officer 28 years old, maritime officer (alone on the bridge at the time of the accident) 23 years old.)
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    (Master and first officer 28 years old, maritime officer (alone on the bridge at the time of the accident) 23 years old.)
    I dunno...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2759478/His-career-really-taking-British-Airways-hands-high-flying-21-year-old-dream-job-pilot-passengers-think.html

(Master and first officer 28 years old
    Assuming they left school at 18 headed directly for this career, a combined ten years of training followed by work in more junior roles doesn't seem that remarkable, bearing in mind that there aren't that many levels of junior role.

Pete

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

It goes in waves,depending a bit on supply and demand. I know plenty of people my age (late sixties) who had command at 28. 23 is an entirely normal age for an officer of the watch.

Come to think of it, the late John Newton, who retired as Technical Director of P&O Containers, was Chief Engineer of the first class passenger liner "Queen of Bermuda", turbo electric, quardruple screw, two pressurised boiler rooms, engine room staff of eighty, 733 first class passengers, at 23. Now that was a post of some responsibility...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Queen_of_Bermuda
    Last edited by Kukri; 07-10-19 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Assuming they left school at 18 headed directly for this career, a combined ten years of training followed by work in more junior roles doesn't seem that remarkable, bearing in mind that there aren't that many levels of junior role.

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    It goes in waves,depending a bit on supply and demand. I know plenty of people my age (late sixties) who had command at 28. 23 is an entirely normal age for an officer of the watch.

Come to think of it, the late John Newton, who retired as Technical Director of P&O Containers, was Chief Engineer of the first class passenger liner "Queen of Bermuda", turbo electric, quardruple screw, two pressurised boiler rooms, engine room staff of eighty,733 first class passengers, at 23. Now that was a post of some responsibility...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Queen_of_Bermuda
    Maybe it's just me. Has anybody else noticed the policemen?
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I think the VTSO should have said “turn to port immediately, if safe to do so as you will otherwise run aground in 1 minute. Turn left 90 degrees onto a southerly heading now if safe to do so”. This is what would happen in aviation. I’m not blaming them though, just that their procedures are too constrained.
    It wasn’t in their sector, plus they’re an information level VTS so not able to instruct traffic movements like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Interesting to note that about 20 cargo ships run aground in British waters.
    I wonder how many yachts?

Quote Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
    Umm err, a few perhaps. It can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
    I've done my share.......

Ω

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast