Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Summer cruise planning - route question

I am hoping to get accepted for the Brest festival (July 10-15th) and I have already been accepted for the Douarmemez festival the week after.

I shall be leaving from Hamble, Paean is old and slow (passage plan 4kn max) and I am likely to be single handed. If I really needed to, I could try to find a crew for the longest passages or even pay a delivery skipper to help me (although are skippers really going to want to sail in a 24 foot MAB).

I can give myself about 2 weeks to get to Brest, spend 2 weeks at the festivals and then another 2 weeks getting home. This will be consecutive, so I am assuming I shall do some local exploring while I wait for weather windows.

My current thinking is to go there via Yarmouth, Dartmouth-Plymouth-Falmouth then cross direct to Brest and to return Brest - round the corner to somewhere-channel islands-Cherbourg- Yarmouth.

What does the panel think?

Default Re: Summer cruise planning - route question

Well the obvious alternative outbound is Yarmouth-Alderney-Roscoff-L'Aberwrach-Brest but it depends on what the weather is doing.

If you're exploring in the Rade de Brest I would recommend a visit to Morgat.
    ۞

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

In a slow boat every mile matters. Less miles if you go Yarmouth to Guernsey to L'Aberwrach, then to Brest. I would always stop at L'Aberwrach to get the tides right around the corner.

I can't imagine why you'd go via Falmouth if you're single/short handed and in a slow boat: it's far out of your way and gives you a very long leg (c130 nm = 33hrs minimum).

I've crossed Devon/Cornwall to Brittany back single handed, but then that's where my boat was then based. Such long legs aren't very productive single/short-handed because they're knackering and take you days to recover.

Channel Islands (and possibly Cherbourg) and N. Brittany gives you loads of ports mainly a fairly short distance apart, so you can adjust your routing according to the weather, etc., and enough choice to enable you to visit other places on the way back. Challenging pilotage, but very scenic.
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post

What does the panel think?

I agree with the others, the sooner you get to France the happier you will be.

I would only head west if southerlies had set in and you just wanted to make some miles from the off. Even then I would go no further than Dartmouth and from there St Peter Port. Once on the French coast it is usually easy to make progress west courtesy of the tides. The only dodgy bit being the 30 miles from Roscoff to L'Aberwrach where the tidal imbalance means you have to get cracking and have barely 6 hours before foul tide which will eventually stop you.

The same track there and back can still be interesting there are lots of alternative stops.

+ lots on that.

If I was single handing and the tides allowed, I'd pick up a buoy off Yarmouth for the night and head for Cherbourg with an early morning tide through Hurst. If not, I'd take an evening ebb so you get to Cherbourg in daylight. In either case, If the wind's kind, make for Alderney, with an option for Guernsey if it happens to fall into place.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post

I would only head west if southerlies had set in and you just wanted to make some miles from the off. Even then I would go no further than Dartmouth and from there St Peter Port. Once on the French coast it is usually easy to make progress west courtesy of the tides. The only dodgy bit being the 30 miles from Roscoff to L'Aberwrach where the tidal imbalance means you have to get cracking and have barely 6 hours before foul tide which will eventually stop you.

The same track there and back can still be interesting there are lots of alternative stops.
    This.
    If you want the option of stopping at any of the tidal harbours, it's generally more effective to be heading West IIRC, as you go with the tide and arrive near HW. So do this coast outbound.
    Maybe your planning should include plugging in some dates and tide times and possible stopovers?

But the forecast at the time will change everything.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    If you want the option of stopping at any of the tidal harbours, it's generally more effective to be heading West IIRC, as you go with the tide and arrive near HW.
    Are you sure?
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

I’d go straight to Brest from Plymouth - no tricky coastal navigation until the Chanel du Four then you are on the home strait. With a decent autohelm it will be cat naps for a single night and not much shipping until you are most of the way over.

That’s what I used to do in my 24 footer after realising the slog to Falmouth didn’t gain me anything. I did it from Salcombe once too so that’s a possibility.

Another vote for crossing earlier to France.

It does all depend on the weather but we once found ourselves with an unexpected Southerly headwind when crossing from Fowey.

Having temporarily lost use of the engine, we diverted to St Peter Port....OK we weren't heading for Brest anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast