Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Summer cruise planning - route question

Another thought. If (when) Brexit happens, then I understand that it is probable that you will be able to only arrive from the UK into certain French ports. Cherbourg is likely to be one such port, so that is another reason to go to Cherbourg first from, say, Yarmouth, and then work your way towards Brest.

As others have said, Chebourg has other advantages, such as 24 hour access, fuel availability, good provisioning, as well as being ca 12 -14 hours sail away from Yarmouth.
    KeithH

I always go via French ports, cheaper marinas, more opportunities to anchor, better food and cheaper wine. If you go down the English coast when you finally cross it's a pound to a pinch that the wind will not be favorable to make Brest so you will end up either along the French N coast or worse still the CI's!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Thanks everyone. I shall start to plan.... something to keep me occupied during the long winter evenings.

I think 15 days is Ok if short or single handed provided the weather plays ball. I have done Camaret a few times (from Bradwell) & like to sail all the way down the French side because of the cheaper ports & 24 hour access. Short hops (up to about 75 miles) means it is less tiring. Sail a day & rest a day after the longer hops. 9 Stops from Boulogne allows 5 rest days.
    What I would point out is that one year going to Camaret I managed only 14 hours of true sailing, there & back. The rest was either complete motoring or motor sailing. Past St Peter Port this was forced by tidal constraints. The wind just did not exist or was dead on the nose both ways!!!
    The following year I did only 20 hours of motoring. Considering how much one uses the engine entering and leaving 18 ports (over 2 ways), that is surprisingly little.
    Both times I left mid May
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

One point in its favour
    20% discount at Cherbourg to members of the RYA-- or some participating clubs (Tufty club etc) Just flash a membership card.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Another little thought. There are two non-tidal harbours between, IIRC, Le Havre and St Malo. Omonville la Rogue, a few miles west of Cherbourg is the other one. Not a difficult entrance, and buoys to pick up. You don't want to be there in a strong wind with much east in it, but it can make a useful refuge for a smaller boat if you find yourself down tide of Cherbourg on the ebb.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12