Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Now on the Thames
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Thames boat speed

    So we run boats that measure speed in knots. We live in the UK where other speed is measured in miles per hour, but the speed limit on the river is 8kph.

    Can someone please explain this?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,320

    Default Re: Thames boat speed

    Yes, the EA are retards.

    I apologise to retards for saying this really, it's a bit like calling vicious criminals 'Animals' as both retards and animals are generally pleasant harmless things apart from wolves and tigers of course who are wholly unpleasant unless cooked...

    However, the EA, headed by the chief idiot Barry Brussell Sprouts are both liars and useless. They hand out your personal details despite their GDPR statement quoting otherwise, and have no idea how to run a waterway, for example halving the staff being 'Doubling' rather than the more apt 'Halving' Blowing thousands on new uniforms for a Royal wedding is fine, as is expecting ill trained volunteer lock keepers to work for nothing, ignoring the fact they pull your boat around despite being told not to, but spending money sensibly and economically is just n ot happening. The vain fools...

    I was pulled by the PLA (The other family of idiots) for speeding, which according to both my GPS and log, I was certainly not, and as I left the castigating cretin, who was most unhelpful, told I was exceeding the limit once more, yet my GPS quoted 4.6kts out of an available 8kts, clearly not breaking anything other than my bank balance by owning a boat as usual. They too are officious cretins, certainly in the upper reaches of PLA territory.

    Hence another few nails in the coffin and my boat is now for sale....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: Thames boat speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfeather View Post
    So we run boats that measure speed in knots. We live in the UK where other speed is measured in miles per hour, but the speed limit on the river is 8kph.

    Can someone please explain this?

    Thank you.
    Just a bit of pandering to EU waterways weights and measures rules aka CEVNI. Here's the rules off the River Conditions website:

    Speed limit
    The speed limit for all powered vessels on the non-tidal Thames is 8kph or 4.3kts or 5mph. Do not create wash whatever speed you are navigating at.
    When I was in the Navy ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    4,221

    Default Re: Thames boat speed

    It was an EU thing some years ago to standardise inland waterways speed limits to km/h the same as continental rivers and canals, so the EA adopted it to much protest from old sea captains!
    Didn't help that it was done at the same time as reducing the limit from 7knts/8mph, so some thought the limit was now 8knts!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: Thames boat speed

    Note that after we leave the EU in 3 weeks time, the EA will change the speed signs and revert to 'Cables per moon phase' because that's just so much easier to understand.
    When I was in the Navy ...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    8,207

    Default Re: Thames boat speed

    Our boat is capable of 40 knts but some of our most pleasant boating has been at tickover up the Thames, tidal & non,there is to much to see to go hacking it The non tidal is so relaxing we had to force ourselves to leave last time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Thames boat speed

    Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    I was pulled by the PLA (The other family of idiots) for speeding, which according to both my GPS and log, I was certainly not, and as I left the castigating cretin, who was most unhelpful, told I was exceeding the limit once more, yet my GPS quoted 4.6kts out of an available 8kts, ...
    On the PLA controlled tideway section of the Thames the speed is TTW (Through The Water). 4.6kts on a GPS is SOG (Speed Over Ground). So 4.6kts SOG could easily exceed 8kts TTW depending on the river conditions and location.

    Indeed - the Connaught and the Cockney Sparrow regularly take advantge of this to achieve very questionable SOG while on their tight schedule downstream on an ebb tide while staying within the regs. (What their excuse is when going against the current is another matter).

    It would be interesting to know on what basis the PLA made their claims (RADAR, Wash, Estimation?) and what your estimated TTW speed was?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Medway
    Posts
    20,147

    Default Re: Thames boat speed

    An annual visitor, might suggest , that in the main, speeding boats do look to be " locals" and based on the Thames.
    Smaller craft being the main culprits,usually in late afternoon and in hurry to get back to their berth.
    Although the wash at times has been annoying have not encountered anything,as yet, to be regarded as life threatening or likely to cause damage to boat.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,320

    Default Re: Thames boat speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Lower Limit 1909 View Post
    On the PLA controlled tideway section of the Thames the speed is TTW (Through The Water). 4.6kts on a GPS is SOG (Speed Over Ground). So 4.6kts SOG could easily exceed 8kts TTW depending on the river conditions and location.

    Indeed - the Connaught and the Cockney Sparrow regularly take advantge of this to achieve very questionable SOG while on their tight schedule downstream on an ebb tide while staying within the regs. (What their excuse is when going against the current is another matter).

    It would be interesting to know on what basis the PLA made their claims (RADAR, Wash, Estimation?) and what your estimated TTW speed was?
    I was heading upstream on an incoming tide and using the lower of my two readings (GPS and Log) so less TTW. I have no interest whatsoever how they made their assumptions, but clearly stated both my speed measuring devices were nowhere near 8kt, and there was no discernable wash either.

    Cretins.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Travelling
    Posts
    10,360

    Default Re: Thames boat speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    Note that after we leave the EU in 3 weeks time, the EA will change the speed signs and revert to 'Cables per moon phase' because that's just so much easier to understand.
    Let's hope that they revert to knots ie. 1 knot = 1 nautical mile per hour = approx 2000 yards per hour. Very easy to understand.
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to