Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Default AIS - essential kit these days for channel crossing?

Coming at this as someone who cruises in Scotland west coast where amounts of shipping etc are relatively small. Thinking of trip to south Brittany next year in company with some others and very aware of much busier shipping lanes in parts of the Irish Sea, Bristol Channel and English Channel areas.

Question is regarding one of the boats travelling at a different time to the rest of us. Their current nav kit is a 2007 Navman plotter, iPad with navionics and good passive radar reflector, but no radar or AIS.

For those of you who do this trip regularly, what’s the opinion re having AIS on a channel crossing? Thinking of either just a receiver or transceiver type. Nice to have, or mad not to have? I understand how it works, and it’s limitations (not everyone has it).

Panels thoughts?

Default Re: AIS - essential kit these days for channel crossing?

In my view it's a 'nice to have', and not essential. It take a lot of the uncertainty about crossing busy shipping, so well worthwhile in that respect.

I have only a receiver*, bought in recent years after numerous channel, etc., crossings without AIS. I would not attach a high importance to being able to transmit at present - there is a lot of other kit I would get before that if money allowed (which it doesn't!) - because there's no clear expectation that the other party will actually be looking at their AIS receiver. Perhaps in future practices will change and it will become more important.

(*Digital Yacht combined antenna/receiver with NMEA output to plotter.)
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

Nice to have.

I've never had AIS.

It didn't exist 35 years ago when I started doing the odd channel crossing during the season, and I don't think I was mad then.

I'll get one sooner or later, probably for next season.

So a nice to have in my book. There's often a long period between first sighting a vessel and being sure that it will pass us safely, and I would expect it to cut down the worry time. And although I have seldom had to take evasive action, maybe it will cut those numbers down as well.

This is in day or night in moderate to good visibility.

But in poor visibility, and without radar, it should be a great comfort compared to being without. I hate those moments. And we can't always avoid them if they arise unforecast and on passage, as happened to us on a shortish coastal hop this year.

Have done quite a few Channel crossings and don't have AIS but do have radar so can just put the ebl on a target and see whether there's a likely problem.

We don’t have radar, AIS, or a plotter but except in fog don’t miss them at all. Then I’d like radar. GPS with lat and long still feels like a magical cheat.

What's his budget? Receivers cheap in boat bit terms today and a really useful thing for a boat to have.

I work on a ship, often in the channel.

We like AIS targets popping up on our screens, but still rely on radar, so if you’re giving a decent return we’ll see you and plan accordingly.

Just be aware not all the vessels in the channel have watchkeepers as switched on as ours, and be cautious of big traffic, and in particular their speed, some of the big commercials really romp on. Stick to the colregs, it’s what we’re expecting (none of this mad might is right nonsense) but be ready to react if you come to the conclusion you’ve not been spotted.

Budget is tight! To do this, they have already committed to a new engine (old one has been problematic for a few years now). The boat is well organised but there will be a lot of other things to buy for this trip (Charts, guides and the rest). The suggestion of the AIS is mine (I am lucky enough to have both radar and AIS fitted by past owner) given they will be making part or all of the passage there and back on their own.

Seems that NASA type receiver with a display is circa £200?

If money is tight, the best use for £200 is to keep it in reserve in case you need an extra day or two somewhere waiting for the fog to clear.
    The cost of an AIS Rx is only part of it, you need an aerial, and to do work to get it all sorted. That's a time cost as well as surprising amounts for cables, interfaces, odd parts.

OTOH, if you want one, then you might as well buy one sooner as later.

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast