Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: AIS - essential kit these days for channel crossing?

I was prepared to read it from the small display, however, I am getting the display on the plotter as well

Further to a previous discussion, here's ' The flying lifeboat ' - I have asked a chum who used to fly Nimrods if the new Poseidons carry liferafts to drop, he's enquiring and getting back to us, though I may have lost it by the time they decide I'm worth an expensive liferaft !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_lifeboat

- Edit - wrong thread but I suppose it may be of interest to some, you can see the evolution of the Fairey Atalanta.
    Last edited by Seajet; 04-10-19 at 17:11.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I prefer pencil and paper over GPS and my AIS stays off unless I'm crossing the channel but for crossing traffic it's been a game changer. No more stress of trying to guess ship speeds and trying to work out whether the bouncing around bearing is changing, I can see when something has made its 2 degree heading change to avoid me and concentrate on the next ship and the next one. Never mind poor vis, it's taken most of the stress out of a daylight crossing. The only reason I'd care about losing GPS data on a cross channel is if it happened in the middle bit where I want to plot AIS targets. Essential? No. Makes the crossing vastly more enjoyable? yes.

If I never crossed the channel or other high-density offshore commercial routes AIS would be a waste of money and space but for this specific purpose it's ace.

What does the panel think of the ICOM AIS kit & display ?

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Which despite RichardS's assertion does not describe an AIS transceiver as presently used by ships and other craft.
    Pedantic, indeed yes, but if words are used wrongly, credibility in the message is diminished as is that of the sender. Arguing that "we all know exactly what we mean" is just another of the dumbing down, anti-expert attitudes that is only too prevalent in present times.
    You make a reasonable point but if you are committed to not using words wrongly then please reconsider your assertion that "An AIS device that receives and transmits is NOT a transponder" because that is not only pedantic, it is wrong.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    You make a reasonable point but if you are committed to not using words wrongly then please reconsider your assertion that "An AIS device that receives and transmits is NOT a transponder" because that is not only pedantic, it is wrong.

Richard
    Give up Richard, just because it transmits and receives, does not make it a transponder. And try not to denigrate people that happen to disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    What does the panel think of the ICOM AIS kit & display ?
    (a) I sail short handed and am usually helming
    (b) I like to be able to instantly compare what I can see on the screen with what I can see

AIS targets plotted on a plotter at the helm are far more useful to me than a radar style display at the chart table so it's a "no" from me.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Give up Richard, just because it transmits and receives, does not make it a transponder. And try not to denigrate people that happen to disagree with you.
    Errrrr .... check out my post #38 please. A perfectly friendly post with smilies as a semi-serious response to Awol calling us "ignorant" with a total absence of smilies. Then see who starts with the denigrating "it's your problem" comments, sans smiley.

Then, come back on here and tell us all who started the denigration and who continued it in his totally unprovoked assault in his post #54. I look forward to your conclusions.

By the way, if you wish to discuss the technical issue, please note that "just because it transmits and receives, does not make it a transponder" and neither does it make it a transceiver.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    (a) I sail short handed and am usually helming
    (b) I like to be able to instantly compare what I can see on the screen with what I can see

AIS targets plotted on a plotter at the helm are far more useful to me than a radar style display at the chart table so it's a "no" from me.
    Thanks but I have a swing out display panel visible from the cockpit usually, or from below if cowering in bad weather - so I'm really asking if anyone knows how the ICOM AIS performs, is it worth the £630 ?

I'd really like the display ' it's over there on such and such course ' to make my course decisions rather than relying on an RTE I can't tell if ships have picked up.

Sorry RTE fans but I always like active rather than passive stuff for things like crossing the Channel - now I'm older I need all the help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Give up Richard, just because it transmits and receives, does not make it a transponder.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast