Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: AIS - essential kit these days for channel crossing?

I considered it Seajet, but went for the Vesper 850 instead:

https://www.cactusnav.com/vesper-mar...r-p-12729.html

Sadly it's another 200 quid.

I think these may have been the reasons I spent the extra:

* It has a built in SWR type meter so you know if the aerial is playing up

* An anchor watch (which works very well)

* It uses minimal power.

* The screen seemed better/bigger

and most importantly of all:

"Graphical Plot Shows Crossing Situations
    Shows the relative position of a target vs. your vessel at the closest point of approach. This provides a graphical view of the crossing situation and clearly indicates whether a target will pass ahead or behind."

In other words, in any close passing situation, you can see graphically if you are passing in front or behind; which in turn lets you speed up or slow down in order to increase the margin. I love that, it's brilliant.

I had a query about the set up and an E mail to the manufacturer in New Zealand was returned with superb attention to detail and very quickly, to boot.

On the downside it is slow to acquire satellites and the programming of Coastal, Inshore and Offshore priority zones is no doubt very sophisticated but something I don't need and have largely ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Give up Richard, just because it transmits and receives, does not make it a transponder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    "Just because it transmits and receives, does not make it a transponder" and neither does it make it a transceiver.

But at least you recognised that I did not start any of the denigration.

Richard

Iím going to change the subject slightly as it appears we have a very different style of sailing to many people on here. Our radar, VHF Chart Plotter etc are all at the chart table. When on passage, we are invariably on autopilot, whether weíre sailing or motoring. We donít often have the luxury of two people being on watch together and so the on watch person spends most of their time standing and peering over the spray hood (itís substantial so you can lean on it) or sitting in the shelter of the spray hood looking all round every few minutes but either war with some of the time below making a cup of tea or at the chart table pointing the plotter cursor at Ďtargets of interestí. (Invariably finding that their CPA is over a mile and who cares)

I find it quite interesting that so many people want all the information at the helm or in sight of the helm.

The only sop to this is that we have a ST60 graphics display which gives us a rolling road or distance to waypoint etc.

Perhaps I should start another thread.
    Semper aliud

I have a swing-out panel with the plotter, fishfinder and radar displays, soon to have the AIS display too, but it's swing out so I can see them if cowering below.

At least these displays are pretty much ' head up ' so the person on watch, especially at night, might still keep a look around.

I do think binnacle displays are an invitation to keep one's head down, glued to the display ( and personal night vision knackered ) rather than keeping a lookout.
    Last edited by Seajet; 05-10-19 at 04:12.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    I find it quite interesting that so many people want all the information at the helm or in sight of the helm.
    I sail a 31 ft tiller steered yacht single handed for 95% of the time. The Raymarine AV100 tiller autopilot is a useless bit of kit (dangerous in fact) so I have to stay at the helm in rough weather, unless using my Aeries.

My cockpit is split by a mainsheet traveler at seat level. That makes moving about the cockpit difficult.
    I have injured my back a couple of times trying to get below in rough weather because I get slung about so much. So I avoid doing so like the plague. Last week I crossed the Dover Straits in the bottom end of F8 and had to helm the whole way. No way could I have even considered going below.

The distance from tiller to the instruments on the hatch top is such that I have difficulty reading the smaller displays. At night I have to use a torch to see them due to the silly red lights in them.

As a result I have (well not for the last 18 months because it went U/S but I bought a new one last week) a plotter mounted just aft of the tiller, where I can work it whilst helming.

Anything below deck that needs operation in rough weather, for me would be a waste of time. Just changing the chart in my Yeoman makes me seriously seasick. In August I went to Ostend & between Longsand Head & Ostend I chucked up 9 times. Another reason not to go below

Therefore, I do not have radar etc. For VHF under way I use a hand held VHF listening to the main radio for anyone calling me up on 16

Being an east coast sailor the two instruments I definitely need on deck is the echosounder & the compass ( that sits under the tiller). Navigated for years with nothing else.

I regularly do legs of 100 miles plus SH so I do get about OK
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 05-10-19 at 07:24.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I have a swing-out panel with the plotter, fishfinder and radar displays, soon to have the AIS display too, but it's swing out so I can see them if cowering below.

At least these displays are pretty much ' head up ' so the person on watch, especially at night, might still keep a look around.

I do think binnacle displays are an invitation to keep one's head down, glued to the display ( and personal night vision knackered ) rather than keeping a lookout.
    We have a Garmin plotter at the binnacle with AIS (and other) info on display, with a second (Raymarine) plotter down at the chart table. All several years old now. The Garmin is fantastically useful for the helmsperson to use, in conjunction with the Mk I eyeball. I reckon it keeps one more alert and interested in where we are, what other traffic there is etc etc. Only one of my regular crew has a tendency to become screenstruck and forget to look out at the real world, probably because he is too short to see over it easily!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    I’m going to change the subject slightly as it appears we have a very different style of sailing to many people on here. Our radar, VHF Chart Plotter etc are all at the chart table. When on passage, we are invariably on autopilot, whether we’re sailing or motoring. We don’t often have the luxury of two people being on watch together and so the on watch person spends most of their time standing and peering over the spray hood (it’s substantial so you can lean on it) or sitting in the shelter of the spray hood looking all round every few minutes but either war with some of the time below making a cup of tea or at the chart table pointing the plotter cursor at ‘targets of interest’. (Invariably finding that their CPA is over a mile and who cares)

The only sop to this is that we have a ST60 graphics display which gives us a rolling road or distance to waypoint etc.

Perhaps I should start another thread.
    Everything at the chart table, apart from an ST 70 and the usual depth speed and wind displays.

You only have to worry about shipping when crossing the various TSS and they are relavively narrow.
    The shipping follows the various TSS (obviously) through the straits of Dover and around Ouissant.
    And it goes from one TSS to the next ... in a straight line. So mark where the various tram lines cross your planned passage and keep your eyes peeled when you are about to cross. ... unless you intend to sail in fog!

The only caveat is that many ships these days go very vey fast.. Especially reefers (refrigerated fruit ships, always white) and the big container ships... so you are almost looking over your shoulders rather than ahead for first sign of their approach.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    You only have to worry about shipping when crossing the various TSS and they are relavively narrow.
    The shipping follows the various TSS (obviously) through the straits of Dover and around Ouissant.
    And it goes from one TSS to the next ... in a straight line. So mark where the various tram lines cross your planned passage and keep your eyes peeled when you are about to cross. ... unless you intend to sail in fog!

The only caveat is that many ships these days go very vey fast.. Especially reefers (refrigerated fruit ships, always white) and the big container ships... so you are almost looking over your shoulders rather than ahead for first sign of their approach.
    A friend of mine got run down by a reefer in the Atlantic, he didn't realise at the time that his limited electrics (solar panel) would support a passive AIS and, as you say, they are white, which is why he probably missed it on the look around before going below to do a couple of chores. He had not seen another vessel for a day, which probably also contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Sorry RTE fans but I always like active rather than passive stuff for things like crossing the Channel - now I'm older I need all the help I can get.
    An RTE is an active device.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast