Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Anybody in the Med or Caribbean monitoring battery temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    From what I can find doing some research we are halving the battery life continually running batteries at circa 30/35degC compared with them being at circa 20/25 degC. Not great.
    Does seem worth having a good look at. Think you'd need to log the batt temp against water temp first of all to see what's going on. Would the bilges be where the coolest air would be?

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Does seem worth having a good look at. Think you'd need to log the batt temp against water temp first of all to see what's going on. Would the bilges be where the coolest air would be?
    My battery ventilation system pulls air from the bilges but the sea temperature here is 30 degC. Boat air temperature varies between 29-33 degC . Certainly the water is cooler during the day but not by much and at night the air is cooler

Just found this on Victron website with regard to to life of deep discharge Victron AGM batteries at different temperatures.
    Average temperature of 20degC life 7-10 years. 30degC life 4 years. 40degC 2 years. Almost worth installing aircon to the battery box out here. Since Victron are a reputable manufacturer I suspect their data is pretty consistent for all AGM batteries.
    Daytime temperatures here are currently 32degC with about 28 at night so I am seeing average of about 30degC around the batteries. With charging I am seeing batteries at 35degC by mid afternoon. My truck batteries are three years old and showing signs of sulphation. We will be swapping to T105s this winter. Will be adding temperature control to my battery ventilation system.

Just found this on Victron website with regard to to life of deep discharge Victron AGM batteries at different temperatures.
    Average temperature of 20degC life 7-10 years. 30degC life 4 years. 40degC 2 years. Almost worth installing aircon to the battery box out here. Since Victron are a reputable manufacturer I suspect their data is pretty consistent for all AGM batteries.
    Daytime temperatures here are currently 32degC with about 28 at night so I am seeing average of about 30degC around the batteries. With charging I am seeing batteries at 35degC by mid afternoon. My truck batteries are three years old and showing signs of sulphation. We will be swapping to T105s this winter. Will be adding temperature control to my battery ventilation system.
    The link between temperature and lifespan isn't specific to AGMs all lead acid batteries behave in a similar fashion. I didn't bother with temperature control and my fan speed is related to charging voltage. The ventilation fan runs at half speed when charging starts and goes to 100% when the batteries get near their gassing voltage.

I assumed that battery temperatures would be highest during the day when both charging and ambient at maximum. Linking fan speed to charging voltage seemed to be a reasonable solution. It pushes air over the batteries at the highest speed when hydrogen production is high. My usage mostly sits around 4-5A and that won't generate much heat.

I realise it isn't ideal and batteries would benefit from cooling when sailing on a hot day but cloudy day with instruments and auto-pilot etc. on. However, I think that it is usually a fairly good compromise.

My battery ventilation system pulls air from the bilges but the sea temperature here is 30 degC. Boat air temperature varies between 29-33 degC . Certainly the water is cooler during the day but not by much and at night the air is cooler
    Not too different in Greece, my notes for June-September show 27-34C in the battery compartment. It would have been more like 38C for several days but I don't think my battery maint. schedule coincided with the warmest days.

i have installed temperature control to the battery box ventilation this afternoon. I think the fact that my batteries are sulphated is increasing the battery temperature. All the amps my panels are trying to put in to the batteries is turning to heat. Whilst at anchor I am simply going to leave the battery box lid off so we get free cooling. Saves running the fan.

Still thinking about this one, seems lots of peltier type computer cpu coolers on ebay, pulling maybe 5/6a. On a boat with a fair amount of solar later in the day there will be surplus power as the battery acceptance tails off, maybe worth adding some cooling to a fan? Control wouldn't be that hard wit a pi running signalk, just some wiring.

Battery fans installation is safer if the fans suck air across for cooling rather than blowing. Arcy sparky......

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Battery fans installation is safer if the fans suck air across for cooling rather than blowing. Arcy sparky......
    Is that an issue with brushless computer fans?

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Is that an issue with brushless computer fans?
    Would have thought a fan needed to ventilate a boat battery is a tad different engineering. So why take the chance?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast