Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Anybody in the Med or Caribbean monitoring battery temperature?

I recently upgraded one of my Victron MPPTs to a smart solar regulator. We have the bluetooth temperature/voltage sender that links to the regulator. I was a little surprised at the temperatures the batteries get to. Ambient air temperature here is about 30degC so batteries are circa 33-35degC. Now I know this I am running the battery box mechanical ventilation to pull the temperature down. Think I might install a temperature controller to bring the fan on automatically.
    I understand that temperature in the high 30s half the life of every kind of battery so quite keen to do what I can. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Default Re: Anybody in the Med or Caribbean monitoring battery temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    I recently upgraded one of my Victron MPPTs to a smart solar regulator. We have the bluetooth temperature/voltage sender that links to the regulator. I was a little surprised at the temperatures the batteries get to. Ambient air temperature here is about 30degC so batteries are circa 33-35degC. Now I know this I am running the battery box mechanical ventilation to pull the temperature down. Think I might install a temperature controller to bring the fan on automatically.
    I understand that temperature in the high 30s half the life of every kind of battery so quite keen to do what I can. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
    Blimey !! if that's the case then worth investigating and taking action I have a non contact thermometer so may take it on board to see what temperatures mine are getting up to.

Not monitoring yet but new battery box getting built which will have temperature logging of the trojans & voltage of each one, Fans going in but now you've mentioned that might have a pull from the bilges then exhaust overboard somehow. Then log and graph it all on the raspberry Pi.
    Batts don't like it hot...

In the north Caribbean temperatures are often 35C and we had no problems wuth our batteries, Trojan and CCA.

As we had 36 degrees below decks for a few days this summer, I guess it didn't do our batteries much good and doubt a fan would have done much to cool them.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    As we had 36 degrees below decks for a few days this summer, I guess it didn't do our batteries much good and doubt a fan would have done much to cool them.
    Tropics water temp was usually around 28C so maybe some air from the bilges might help..

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Tropics water temp was usually around 28C so maybe some air from the bilges might help..
    Sea temperature here is 30degC. Even 100 ft down whilst diving its 30degC!!

Might be of slight interest..
    https://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/...ast-charging-/
    Sounds like they go for 5% tail current as charged, I'm much lower than that though takes a while longer.
    So with heat being a big factor in battery death it might even be worth fitting a heftyish fan with run speed temperature controlled. Not actially that hard if you've a pi running signalk.
    Last edited by GHA; 06-10-19 at 18:39.

Gone Sailing -on the move exploring SE Asia

Sea temperature here is 30degC. Even 100 ft down whilst diving its 30degC!!
    Here is South East Asia the sea temperature is usually 32 deg and can get to 35 deg on a sunny day. Right now early. Morning is a seeing 33 deg and the sun is not. Up yet.
    Temptress of Down
    Check out our Blog

Quote Originally Posted by temptress View Post
    Here is South East Asia the sea temperature is usually 32 deg and can get to 35 deg on a sunny day. Right now early. Morning is a seeing 33 deg and the sun is not. Up yet.
    From what I can find doing some research we are halving the battery life continually running batteries at circa 30/35degC compared with them being at circa 20/25 degC. Not great.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast