Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: No wonder there’s no fish in the sea!

These big trawlers will often fish in international waters. The Chinese are doing it on a global scale with large fleets of giant trawlers fed by tanker supply ships and where the catch is removed by even bigger freezer factory ships and taken back to the motherland.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeffles View Post
    They are bound by quota too when in EU waters, trouble is that so many British quota owners have sold their rights to them.
    If one sells a quota, it is still a "quota" whoever fishes for it. Quotas are transferred all over the world. Provided the quotas are used legally & not over fished, then if it is taken by a Portuguese, Spanish, or UK fisherman, makes no difference. The effect on the stock of fish is still the same, good or bad.

Comments on the thread are made about the wealth of the owners of the quotas. Does it matter that the owners are in the rich list? The boats are leased to skippers who probably could never afford the investment to buy and maintain one themselves.
    The skippers and crews still have work to do. The fish do not catch themselves & the owners of the syndicates do not do the fishing. They are investors.

There was a programe on TV about Scottish fishermen & I spoke to a Newlyn fisherman about one of the featured prawn fishermen. Turns out he is the chairman of a fishing association. The Newlyn man told me that he (the Chairman) was just having his boat refurbished at a cost of £1.5M. How many small fishermen could afford that. That is why the boats are owned by wealthy syndicates.
    When I was in Eyemouth a few years ago a new fishing boat was being launched at a cost of £5M. It was sold to a firm in Portugal.
    Do not criticise the wealth of the owners. The industry needs their money.

However, by all means criticise dishonesty & unfair practice
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Yes it does matter if quotas are sold, as that removes jobs, income and boats from british fishermen.
    It is not illegal, but it is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Yes it does matter if quotas are sold, as that removes jobs, income and boats from british fishermen.
    It is not illegal, but it is not right.
    But it was the British fishermen that sold them in the first place, so how can they complain? Not all quotas are sold abroad. It should also be remembered that under EU law UK companies can buy foreign quotas.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 04-10-19 at 21:18.

Always seemed to me that quotas are an ideal tool for bureaucrats as there is lotsof ad inistration involved. But they do a lousy job of protecting fish stocks.
    But what else do you expect from the EU?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    But it was the British fishermen that sold them in the first place, so how can they complain? Not all quotas are sold abroad. It should also be remembered that under EU law UK companies can buy foreign quotas.

No no, you're off message, it's all the EU's fault for the UK giving them the rights in the first place.

Unfortunately, there are too many fishermen and not enough fish (in and around Europe, not necessarily the EU) and until some more drastic steps are taken (Like a Frigate sinking a trawler or two and more extensive conservation zones to replenish stocks) nothing is going to change. We've simply over-fished.

Of course...if we enforced current conservation zones, I wonder if we'd be in this situation at all :|.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    No no, you're off message, it's all the EU's fault for the UK giving them the rights in the first place.

Unfortunately, there are too many fishermen and not enough fish (in and around Europe, not necessarily the EU) and until some more drastic steps are taken (Like a Frigate sinking a trawler or two and more extensive conservation zones to replenish stocks) nothing is going to change. We've simply over-fished.

Of course...if we enforced current conservation zones, I wonder if we'd be in this situation at all :|.
    And where is this frigate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy32 View Post
    And where is this frigate ?
    We haven't built it yet

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    We haven't built it yet
    "WE", Don't you mean South Korea?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12