Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wrapping the perspex of a bow hatch

I have gone the other way.

I have ply fabric covered blanks for the port holes to no need for curtains or blinds which is much nicer. As such I rarely remove the port hole covers and use the top for all light

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    ...and to be helpful, how about doing a cloth cover, with a seam all around and a vertical part of a few cm with a strongish rubber band inside so that it wraps over and stays?
    Like this? https://www.force4.co.uk/hatch-cover.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrs View Post
    I bought one of those.....useless. If you pull it tight with the lid open, it then sits on the seal and lets water in. If you pull it tight with the lid closed, the edge is thick and hardly tucks under the hatch lip.

I had proper covers made on my current boat with poppers onto the deck. Problem solved

There you go get the sewing machine out.
    https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make...ch-Cover-Video

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I may not be understanding of what you mean by sliding panel as I don't have such.
    Sorry, in hindsight I appreciate that I was referring to the ceiling arrangement in my boat, which was actually custom built by the yard.
    But one way or another, I've always seen bow hatches with some sort of internal blind, either rolling or sliding.
    This arrangement is sort of irrelevant, though - what I'm after is a way to darken the perspex permanently, making the internal blind redundant, so to speak.
    Anyhow, below is a pic of my current setup, just for the records.

Thanks everybody for all other suggestions, but I still think that an external wrapping is the easiest route.
    After all, it wouldn't be a big deal to replace it every few years, if need be.
    In the meantime, I also saw that there's plenty of wrapping films for sale online, also with some colours choice.
    But if anyone can recommend a specific type/brand, I'm all ears!
    Last edited by MapisM; 06-10-19 at 11:43.

Hi, use Oracal Cast Vinyl wrap.
    It is 7 years design and breathable application. Needs heated to correct temperature with an airgun to lose its memory shape, so properly applied is important.
    I've used it very successfully in the med sun on my boat, even on hardtop with no colour fade etc. Quick wash, like new.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12