Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Most Dangerous Place on a Ship?

According to QI, it's the lifeboats. Apparently more people are killed and injured in lifeboat exercises than any other activity and over a 10 year period, on British & Australian ships, lifeboats didn't save a single life.

Supplementary fact(?) from the same source: Lifejackets on airliners haven't saved a single life. In an exercise with a simulated crash landing on water, only about 40 people even got their LJ and, of those, only 3 had put them on properly. According to safety experts, unless you've got a lot of warning, stuff the LJ, just GTFO

Plausible, but are they true?
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Default Re: The Most Dangerous Place on a Ship?

Looking at recent ship accidents...
    an LJ would not have made much difference.

However, if the Costa Condordia had not managed to beach.. it might have been very different.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    According to QI, it's the lifeboats. Apparently more people are killed and injured in lifeboat exercises than any other activity and over a 10 year period, on British & Australian ships, lifeboats didn't save a single life.
    Little wonder. Have you seen how they launch them?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9AmvrTeoXU
    Industry legend is that more people have been killed in lifeboat drills than have been saved by them.

I presume that it is a psychological hangover from the Titanic, when shortage of lifeboats was the cause of many deaths. People on ships, whether passengers or crew, want to feel that if a disaster struck they would have a chance of surviving.

I have always found the lifejacket demo on planes embarrassing, but now that they mostly do it on videos it does at least have some entertainment value. I confess that when travelling by train and they call out a request that we should read the safety instructions, I feel compelled to add "and your lifejacket will be found under your seat".
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

True, I think, but free fall lifeboats are very very much safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I always think they look really scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Except at drills...
    Australia.. some years ago.... foreign ship...foreign crew.
    Engineer in boat.... AMSA surveyor makes hand motions suggesting 'turn the wheel thingo'... engineer turns wheel thingo... AMSA surveyor makes more hand motions ... engineer thinks... must mean other wheel thimgumee.... boat drops, engineer unsecured... engineer very badly injured.. spine etc...

AMSA stopped showing much of an interest ... ie any interest... in free fall lifeboats after that.. in the report surveyor came up smelling of roses ... engineer branded a fool....

The fact that he was Bulgarian and all instructions in the boat were in Danish did not help...

I'd rather have a go in a free fall lifeboat if I was strapped in, than anything at a place like Alton Park crewed by gum chewing teenagers who wouldn't know a spanner if one clocked them with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vESxCZe0HA
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I've heard it said that passengers who inflate their LJs inside the aircraft are far less likely to escape.

As to lifeboats, its far safer if you can evacuate on to a floating platform of some kind. Serious fires on ships for example mean that most passengers can and have been safely evacuated. Skippers know that they will almost certainly have casualties and fatalities if they have to evacuate, and most of those will occur in the process of loading and launching the lifeboats.

Perhaps aircraft should be fitted with lifeboats as well? If they can be free fall launched, which will hit the water first? The plane or the Lifeboat.... then there could be the catastrophic scenario of the passengers all escaping only to have the plane crash on them. Cant win I suppose.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Old Harry ( the genuine original one )

there are a few answers to that;

for a start if one is in an aircraft say going cross-Channel that is one of the few times a manual not auto lifejacket is a good idea - an auto may well trap one as the aircfraft sinks on ditching.

Some airliners have liferafts stowed in the wings but I'm not sure which, it seems an old fashioned idea now accountants not flying in them hold the purse strings.

In WWII Uffa Fox designed a lifeboat to drop from aircraft, complete with sailing rig and instructions.

I don't know about the new P-8 Poseidons but the Nimrods used to carry big liferafts to drop.
    Last edited by Seajet; 04-10-19 at 15:56.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast