Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The Most Dangerous Place on a Ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Continuing from my post # 10 here's ' The Flying Lifeboat ' ( you can see the origins of the Fairey Atalanta ) - I've asked a friend who used to fly Nimrods, he's finding out if Poseidons carry rafts to drop and will get back to us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_lifeboat
    I was hoping that link would show the dinghies I remember from my sailing course in Plymouth in the early 1970s where I think the sails had a stylised "ABL" logo. But it didn't!

Mike.

Aircraft life jackets are manual. If you inflate them in the aircraft and and the cabin floods, you will not get out.

Commercial aircraft carry life rafts and slide rafts. That means there is enough capacity for every pax and crew. There are ELT's and survival packs that are taken off in the event of a ditching. The equipment carried puts the marine industry to shame. While a successful ditching is not guaranteed, it is by no means a death sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    Aircraft life jackets are manual. If you inflate them in the aircraft and and the cabin floods, you will not get out.

Commercial aircraft carry life rafts and slide rafts. That means there is enough capacity for every pax and crew. There are ELT's and survival packs that are taken off in the event of a ditching. The equipment carried puts the marine industry to shame. While a successful ditching is not guaranteed, it is by no means a death sentence.
    I don't have any links but I'd suggest the slide/raft type are like to be the biggest saver of passengers. The company I worked for and IIRC Red Funnel have them. But I doubt they're certificated outside sheltered waters as our certainly had no canopy.

W.

PS I'd say being caught in the captain's cabin with his wife would be high up the list!

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post

I'd say being caught in the captain's cabin with his wife would be high up the list!
    That's more like getting coated in dover sole from the galley for the sharks and tossed overboard, probably without a raft...

A major snag with modern airliners is the under-wing pylon mounted engines which will scoop and dig in on ditching - so Sully's achievement on the Hudson was quite miraculous.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    I don't have any links but I'd suggest the slide/raft type are like to be the biggest saver of passengers. The company I worked for and IIRC Red Funnel have them. But I doubt they're certificated outside sheltered waters as our certainly had no canopy.

W.

PS I'd say being caught in the captain's cabin with his wife would be high up the list!
    They do have canopies, very substantial ones at that, along with sea anchors and ballast pockets. We carry infant life cots as well. Not everyone can swim. Not everyone will be able bodied after a ditching. I struggle to see a case for not having life jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    That's more like getting coated in dover sole from the galley for the sharks and tossed overboard, probably without a raft...

A major snag with modern airliners is the under-wing pylon mounted engines which will scoop and dig in on ditching - so Sully's achievement on the Hudson was quite miraculous.

All of which is understood by the industry and ameliorated by technique as far as possible.

As you can well imagine the subject has been discussed at length on the flt deck during long ETOPS flights. The consensus leaned towards the fuse plugs shearing, probably wishful thinking, but what can you do?

As an aside, while not detracting from the excellent job the crew did during the Hudson river ditching, they failed to activate the ditching switch. The aircraft still floated long enough to evacuate.

An old instructor once told me, “don't stop flying, until it stops sliding” Survival is in no small way influenced by mental attitude. I am an optimist, any other mindset is counter productive.
    Last edited by Achosenman; 05-10-19 at 07:11. Reason: typo

Iím just staggered that Sully managed to avoid hitting any of the many helicopters that seem to fly up and down the Hudson. Until that day, I thought the little picture on the safety briefing card of a floating aeroplane was wishful thinking. Just annoys me how many people choose to ignore the safety briefing. So rude and inconsiderate - others survival might depend on their knowing what to do

They do have canopies, very substantial ones at that, along with sea anchors and ballast pockets. We carry infant life cots as well. Not everyone can swim. Not everyone will be able bodied after a ditching. I struggle to see a case for not having life jackets.
    OK I hadn’t seen one so wasn’t sure if any of the slide type did.

W

I

Quote Originally Posted by boomerangben View Post
    Just annoys me how many people choose to ignore the safety briefing. So rude and inconsiderate - others survival might depend on their knowing what to do
    I couldn't agree more. Never was there a situation where "we are all in together" applied.

AAs an aside, while not detracting from the excellent job the crew did during the Hudson river ditching, they failed to activate the ditching switch. The aircraft still floated long enough to evacuate.
    What does the ditching switch do?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast