Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Fuel consumption, what to buy

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Marex 320 acc
    Single engine shaft drive.
    Single engine would be a great help, but stern drive would be better. I suspect the marex may return around 3mpg at 20ish knots while a single sterndrive would push 4mpg, maybe a little more.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

I think the op wants to cruise extensively and therefore a single engine boat feels unwise to me.

For max mpg surely he needs to go slower and that means a semi displacement or full displacement hull.

A Fairline Targa 34 does about 2.5/7 lp-nm with 230 kad 42 is was 2.5 with 44s it is 2.7. Not many boats do better then that in 10 meters.

I think we have a fundamental problem if really one cannot afford 2.5 - 3 liter per mile, I'd say forget the boat and the dream.
    Fuel consumption is the least problems on these boats. A Fairline Targa 34 depending also on location needs about 8-10000 euros a year in upkeep costs.
    A sail boat if though it will consume much less needs the same. Sails need servicing and this is like having an extra engine.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    A Fairline Targa 34 does about 2.5/7 lp-nm with 230 kad 42 is was 2.5 with 44s it is 2.7. Not many boats do better then that in 10 meters.

I think we have a fundamental problem if really one cannot afford 2.5 - 3 liter per mile, I'd say forget the boat and the dream.
    Fuel consumption is the least problems on these boats. A Fairline Targa 34 depending also on location needs about 8-10000 euros a year in upkeep costs.
    A sail boat if though it will consume much less needs the same. Sails need servicing and this is like having an extra engine.
    I wish we could run our T34 for 8-10k per year!

W, what would it cost to moor a T34 in a decent marina in Malta?

10 meters is about 4k a year. I pay 3.5k a year and about 100 euros a year in electricity water, but I am in Ta Xbiex the most safe and competitive marina on the island.
    Lift up is 2k and since I go in an inland year that is a year cost including lifting and launching. I have left BV from two months up to six months on land depends the year and work.
    Then you have parts upgrade and the rest, and sometimes always breaks. That is why I quote 8 to 10k a year. Yes I do imagine that some marinas are more expensive then others.

To be fair the South Coast of Sicily, as Ragusa, Scoglitti, Pozzallo, and Licata has even more competitive rates.
    The problem in these areas that shot trip cruising grounds a bit flat, with the exception of 50-60nm Malta down South, and or the East as the Syracuse - Marzamemi - Capo Passero area.
    Anyways if you want to change location let me know I can give you a help.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post

SC35 uses 60L/hr at 22kts,

Which is very good for the size of the boat.

thanks, looks like a great boat, didn't know it. Any idea of the fuel consumption or where I can find specs?

How about getting a hybrid? So you save money going very slow but without cost. That money can then be used when you want to go fast. Perhaps a Greenline.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

All the boats suggested bely the fact that the fuel bill is too expensive. If a chap can buy a quarter million boat he's not going to throw a wobbly over fuel bills.

A cat may be your best option for a large boat with low fuel consumption. If you need the speed and economy with a mono hull you would need to look at probably sub 30 feet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast