Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Matsutec HP528A - Class B AIS Transponder - ??

Following on from the recent AIS debate, just spotted this on ebay, seems very reasonable for £305 and delivered from Manchester. Anyone had any experience of this piece of kit? Is it a stand-alone unit? (I don't have a plotter)
    See :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matsutec-...EAAOSwn-RcrFd2

Default Re: Matsutec HP528A - Class B AIS Transponder - ??

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
    Following on from the recent AIS debate, just spotted this on ebay, seems very reasonable for £305 and delivered from Manchester.
    Do you believe that? The seller is in China and the delivery time quoted is a couple of weeks. The unit is cheap and cheerful; if it works, fine. If it doesn't work, it's a throwaway as sending it back to China isn't really economic.

I have one, delivered from the UK arrived in a couple of days. Very good piece of kit. Does everything I expected. I have no problem so I have no idea about warranty.

I would be careful here....I was also wooed by the cheap price for a class B. When it arrived (same model you are looking at and probably the same seller) I found it had no VHF antenna connector. I pointed out to the seller the unit may struggle to receive or send without an aerial of any sort. The seller offered me £3 off. I declined, they offered me £5 off. I stated I wanted a refund. They offered me £7 off.....repeat ad infinitum.....eventually after a few weeks of angry messages and threats to complain to ebay they relented and sent me a pre-paid returns label....back to Manchester???? Was it heck.

Lesson learned on my part.

For folks that would rather have stuff with local back up, this might be worth a look:

http://avesmarine.com/Onwa-AIS-plotters/index.php/

More expensive of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Fever View Post
    I would be careful here....I was also wooed by the cheap price for a class B. When it arrived (same model you are looking at and probably the same seller) I found it had no VHF antenna connector. I pointed out to the seller the unit may struggle to receive or send without an aerial of any sort. The seller offered me £3 off. I declined, they offered me £5 off. I stated I wanted a refund. They offered me £7 off.....repeat ad infinitum.....eventually after a few weeks of angry messages and threats to complain to ebay they relented and sent me a pre-paid returns label....back to Manchester???? Was it heck.
    Generally speaking with Matsutec the "A" at th eend tells you it has AIS. I almost bought an HP-33 through Amazon before I realised that it wasn't an HP-33A.

By the way, from the screenshots in the listing the HP528A looks to be a re-cased HP-33A, in which case I'd recommend it.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I would certainly recommend them and ignore crass comments from those with no experience of the product.

The Onwa and Matsutec are the same devices but I think use different firmware. Onwa appears better supported in the UK, hence the higher prices, but they also offer a wide range of charts to download free of charge. These would not load onto my Matsutec.

I am more than happy with my Matsutec but the screen is a bit small on my first an HP-628A, so I replaced it with the HP-1228A. Make sure you get the one with the A suffix.

When I bought mine the manual omitted how to set up own ship data, but I was sent this separately after asking. I have written this into the manual pdf, so if you do buy one then PM and I'll send you the details.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    By the way, from the screenshots in the listing the HP528A looks to be a re-cased HP-33A, in which case I'd recommend it.
    As I recall, you're the guy who famously posted "I have an HP-33A. Well, I have two, because #1 is up the creek and Matsutec do technical support like the Syria Army does shiatsu massage."

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    As I recall, you're the guy who famously posted "I have an HP-33A. Well, I have two, because #1 is up the creek and Matsutec do technical support like the Syria Army does shiatsu massage."
    Yes, and I am the guy who later posted that the problems appeared to have been caused by a faulty power supply which meant that the HP-33A was having a brief supply cut every 3 - 10s, For two years. No wonder it got confused. The other issue turned out to be a faulty pulpit mounted GPS antenna, but I replaced it with one which works fine in the cabin and should therefore last better.

I'm still using my original one. It powers itself on, usually, but apart from that is now working impeccably.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

My HP-33A is working just fine, though the screen is a tad small.

- W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast