Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Catamarans are getting very popular

I took a screenshot picture from youtube of an anchorage somewhere exotic and warm. Most of the yachts in the anchorage are catamarans; it appears that catamarans are getting very popular over there.Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 21.02.06.jpg

Default Re: Catamarans are getting very popular

I'm guessing Oz . Brisbane way ?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

I'm guessing that it's an older Delos video from the Bahamas.
    EDIT: Anagada is mentioned at beginning of the video, so it's in the BVI and those will predominantly be Moorings Charter cats.
    Last edited by stingo; 04-10-19 at 20:40.

Not with me they're not.

In the Ionian recently one squeezed in to get on the quayside and was shouldering two yachts aside and really leaning on them with his fenders, his comeuppance came when a thunderstorm with some strong gusts came in at around 0600 and he had to move.

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    I'm guessing that it's an older Delos video from the Bahamas.
    We sailed in the Windward Islands a few years ago. Most charter boats appeared to be big cats. Most liveaboard boats were 35-45' monohulls. We chartered a 41ft monohull and found it excellent for our purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    We sailed in the Windward Islands a few years ago. Most charter boats appeared to be big cats. Most liveaboard boats were 35-45' monohulls. We chartered a 41ft monohull and found it excellent for our purpose?
    Lots of charter cats in the Caribbean but more recently an increase in owned Lagoon and Leopards type of boats. They are a certain type of cat that provides lots of accommodation but not a great deal of sailing performance unless broad reaching. They seem to be a type of owner with less interest in sailing but still wanting their Caribbean experience and why not. These boats provide great space and are brilliant at anchor. Their sailing performance is a secondary consideration. I am not knocking them but its hard to beat a monohull for sailing enjoyment. I say this as a sailor who's previous two boats were catamarans. Very happy with my mono but if I was a lottery winner I might be tempted by the new Balance 620 and venture back to the dark side.........

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    Lots of charter cats in the Caribbean but more recently an increase in owned Lagoon and Leopards type of boats. They are a certain type of cat that provides lots of accommodation but not a great deal of sailing performance unless broad reaching. They seem to be a type of owner with less interest in sailing but still wanting their Caribbean experience and why not. These boats provide great space and are brilliant at anchor. Their sailing performance is a secondary consideration. I am not knocking them but its hard to beat a monohull for sailing enjoyment. I say this as a sailor who's previous two boats were catamarans. Very happy with my mono but if I was a lottery winner I might be tempted by the new Balance 620 and venture back to the dark side.........
    And we would look at a Catana.

We have owned our cat for just short of 20 years.

Catamarans have some very obvious disadvantages.

They are a very significant investment, if you need to upgrade anything it is also expensive. In many locations its difficult to find marinas that will take them (we keep ours on a swing mooring). etc. if this thread runs - I am sure there will be an amazingly long list of disadvantages mentioned (often by people who have never sailed a catamaran).

Most live aboard yachts and charter yachts spend most of their time at anchor - and accomodation is then the critical, or at least important, issue. If you are a live aboard, or you have no schedule then, like most people you do not set off into a howling headwind - all sailing, with the wife and kids, is much better off the wind. Of course if you have won that lottery and must get somewhere - then a monohull will sail to windward much more quickly. Off the wind a cat will outrun a monohull of the same size - easily. Ours is 38', equivalent to a modern AWB of about 45'. I don't know many monos of 45' you can sail, off the wind, one on deck and average 10 knots over 100nm - but we do watch weather windows religiously (and we don't have a schedule).

Horses for courses.

When we had our cat built we were the only multihull in our mooring field, of about 250 yachts. I can see 15 now - and ours is the, second, smallest (the smaller one is a Crowther).

Up north, The Gold Coast, Brisbane and further cats are much more common.

And to comment to Daedelus - you can see as many obnoxious owners (or charter parties) in monos as catamarans.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 05-10-19 at 00:04.

I enjoyed a Lagoon on an out of season rough cross-Atlantic ages ago. Good speed - 15 knots was our best on a 410 but the 380 made 18 in similar conditions. I’d have catamaran anytime in an anchorage or beating when cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    .... I am not knocking them but its hard to beat a monohull for sailing enjoyment. I say this as a sailor who's previous two boats were catamarans. Very happy with my mono but if I was a lottery winner I might be tempted by the new Balance 620 and venture back to the dark side.........
    Easy to beat... both upwind and downwind... But Tomahawk is an Outremer... described by some as the Porche of the seas
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast