Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Catamarans are getting very popular

In a recent thread we were discussing something with Vic and I observed that there were 14 boats in our bay in Croatia and 6 of them were cats. When we started sailing in Croatia 10 years ago there would have been only a couple.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Easy to beat... both upwind and downwind... But Tomahawk is an Outremer... described by some as the Porche of the seas
    Ah yes, fully agree. If the Outremer is a Porche then what are the Gunboats? For me I would always want a performance cat with daggerboards. Friends have an Aikane 56 high performance cat. I weather routed them across the Atlantic in May. St Martin to Azores in 12 days. A strong fast and light cat with a huge amount of space. Carbon daggerboards, carbon mast.
    The dilemma comes in high performance cats that they only stay high performance by keeping them light. As a liveaboard you have to be very careful not to overload them or they become low performance. Our heavy monohull was designed to carry lots of stores. She doesnt suffer a performance disadvantage like many cats and monohulls when you load here up. We have a boat full of toys, large fuel and water tanks and lots of space for food, tools, etc. If we were lottery winers we would probably have upgraded from our last catamaran to a larger high performance cat but we weren't! We made the conscious decision to move to a monohull that worked as a liveaboard boat and provided good sailing performance and safety. We have never regretted it. The money we saved was invested in property that provides us an income to retire early and enjoy our life afloat.

Up to very recently, we have been sailing on the South Coast and the Solent and during the last seven years, I don't think we have seen many catamarans around. So, perhaps, catamarans are becoming popular primarily in the Caribbean and to a lesser degree in the Med.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    Up to very recently, we have been sailing on the South Coast and the Solent and during the last seven years, I don't think we have seen many catamarans around. So, perhaps, catamarans are becoming popular primarily in the Caribbean and to a lesser degree in the Med.
    They are perfect for outdoor living. Med and Caribbean boats for sure. I used to get excited when I took my jumper off when sailing in the UK!!

50 years ago we had a mooring in Mudeford, we were surrounded by 9m Catalacs, at least 7 of them, mind you Tom Lack did used to build them just down the road, so that may have something to do with it.
    Last edited by Praxinoscope; 06-10-19 at 09:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Easy to beat... both upwind and downwind... But Tomahawk is an Outremer... described by some as the Porche of the seas
    You surprise me

What was the one held in Newlyn after the drugs bust recently? Best looking cat I have seen, I thought. Lots of Lagoons about the med but they seem high and out of visual balance to me. But op is correct - very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    50 years ago we had a mooring in Mudeford, we were surrounded by 9m Catalans, at least 7 of them, mind you Tom Lack did used to build them just down the road, so that may have something to do with it.
    Ugly boats.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    They seem to be a type of owner with less interest in sailing but still wanting their Caribbean experience and why not. These boats provide great space and are brilliant at anchor. Their sailing performance is a secondary consideration. I am not knocking them but its hard to beat a monohull for sailing enjoyment.
    Spot on. I sailed a Lagoon 50 to the BVIs last year and, despite the code 0, never broke 10 knots. My own 36' plastic blob would have compared favourably performance-wise, though sadly lacking aircon and the 3 fridges and 2 freezers.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    I took a screenshot picture from youtube of an anchorage somewhere exotic and warm. Most of the yachts in the anchorage are catamarans; it appears that catamarans are getting very popular over there.Attachment 80787
    Having been to that spot in Anegada, there is about 1.9m of water (with minimal tide). This precludes most of the larger monohulls who need to anchor a bit further out. The monohulls are there, but out of frame in the deeper water. .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast