Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Catamarans are getting very popular

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    I took a screenshot picture from youtube of an anchorage somewhere exotic and warm. Most of the yachts in the anchorage are catamarans; it appears that catamarans are getting very popular over there.
    Yes, they certainly are.

A typical trans-Atlantic yacht delivery for us 10 years ago was a 40 - 60ft monohull. Now we are delivering around 10 catamarans across the Atlantic for every monohull.

At minute 2.06 this new Lagoon owner describes why he bought a catamaran instead of a monohull for an around the world adventure...

Pete
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    So they actually work!? Amazing for something with the proportions of a house. The mast doesn't look that big from the pictures, I wonder if it was a special.
    Normal design. Try a look at their website. I was also impressed with the build quality. The best engine room layouts, pipe runs, electrics, blah blah. You could have a party in the boom..... Different world.

They picked this one up in a Baltic winter though..... The outdoor flybridge is very exposed. Has spent summers in Med and winters in Carib since then though.

Rent it for a week and let us know what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Normal design. Try a look at their website. I was also impressed with the build quality. The best engine room layouts, pipe runs, electrics, blah blah. You could have a party in the boom..... Different world.

They picked this one up in a Baltic winter though..... The outdoor flybridge is very exposed. Has spent summers in Med and winters in Carib since then though.

Rent it for a week and let us know what you think!
    I'm just curious. I won't be renting one as I have absolutely no desire to run or own a ship like that, just like I don't want to own Buckingham palace.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Average i suppose for a slug with a 140 foot mast and a cruising chute the size of a minor planet.

Passage plan at 9 knots if you want to take it easy and not break anything.
    It's quite a beast, I checked it out. It looks splendid. 55 tons, so it will take a lot of power to move it. Costs £2.5m as a 4 year old, so not a steal. It really asks for a crewed operation. I'm not frail enough yet. By the way the air draft is 114ft, not 140ft as standard.

I can understand the undoubted appeal of catamarans to those who want comfort, speed and a stable platform (who wouldn't) but to my unaccustomed eye they look awkward and ugly. I have never seen one that I would be proud to own.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    It's quite a beast, I checked it out. It looks splendid. 55 tons, so it will take a lot of power to move it. Costs £2.5m as a 4 year old, so not a steal. It really asks for a crewed operation. I'm not frail enough yet. By the way the air draft is 114ft, not 140ft as standard.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyzXBvj_VgM

Here's the walk through. Crew for charter, you can sail it short handed and then you will have stacks more ice cream. Raising the main is not possible by hand. Everything is hydraulic. Takes a lot of care, you can break things with that sort of power.

Different world, Zing ole thing, lots of them like it out there.....

BTW it was my old buddy the skipper of the boat that he has seen from build that gave me the mast height. And our young sef Efrikan crew we hoisted up to fix the VHF aeriel when we were half way across the Atlantic assured me it was a fargan looong way up!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234