Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Am I too inexperienced to take my boat round mull of kintyre ?

Hi folks
    Advice please
    We have a mooring in Crinan and we can keep our boat in the boatyard for the winter but I'm keen to get it back near Glasgow (sandpoint marina) because the boatyard fees are half that of Crinan and we have jobs to do this winter so access easier.

We only have 2 summers sailing experience and I am wondering if we should not make this trip. Obviously we would only contemplate it in very fair weather and we would plan the passage properly. But do people think even then it's a bit much for new sailors and best not tackled until we have more experience?
    The furthest we've ever been is gigha for an overnight trip.
    I would be concerned that we would go in a favourable forecast but the weather would not be as expected and it might be a bit of a nightmare - my observation from sailing about the sound of jura that it's often way windier than what the various apps say.
    It's a seamaster 925 by the way.

Thanks v much
    Douglas
    P.s another boater at Crinan suggested leaving boat on our mooring for the winter- it would save a lot of money and it would be great to use the boat a bit over the winter- but i would be worried something would happen.

Default Re: Am I too inexperienced to take my boat round mull of kintyre ?

Go and get the experience. If the weather is worse than expected turn round and go back. There is no shame in this, in fact it is good seamanship.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Check the forecast, don't go if there's the least uncertainty, but there's no reason not to go. Have escape routes planned in case things go pear-shaped - probably turn back to Gigha if north of the Mull, Sanda if southerly winds kick up and Campbelltown otherwise.

The main "tip" I observed when going round the MoK was to stay as close inshore as I dared at the Mull itself. I could see that the sea further offshore was much nastier than that close inshore.

The other thing worth bearing in mind is that your boat will stand a lot more than you will, and that the safest place to be is well clear of anything hard! If trouble brews, getting sea room is always a good idea.

It is my personal opinion that providing you go on a decent forecast, the MoK is less of a concern than many other locations on the West Coast with strong tidal races. The Sound of Luing, the Doruis Mor and many others are much nastier in the wrong conditions! The MoK is fearsome in westerly gales, especially wind over tide, but much of its reputation arises because it is a hazard on a major shipping route.
    Last edited by AntarcticPilot; 05-10-19 at 10:55.

Go for it - i was nervous before first time. Etc. Still.am nervous, depending on forecast. As others have said - just turn back if it becomes rubbish...

I have often ended up motoring overnight as no wind.

Mind you, leacing her on a mooring in Crinan Harbour would be fun too ☺ as long as your insurer is happy. You would probably move to a more tucked away buoy.

Mebbe see you at Sandpoint. We're staying in the water this winter but live in Dumbarton

Why not take a more experienced skipper with you?

You have a seaworthy boat and obviously a careful attitude. I don’t think you will have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinan12 View Post
    We only have 2 summers sailing experience and I am wondering if we should not make this trip. Obviously we would only contemplate it in very fair weather and we would plan the passage properly. But do people think even then it's a bit much for new sailors and best not tackled until we have more experience?
    The first time I went round was in my first full year of owning myself what had been the family Westerly Jouster - 21' long. We waited two days in Campbeltown for a nice forecast and then went round with no problems.

P.s another boater at Crinan suggested leaving boat on our mooring for the winter- it would save a lot of money and it would be great to use the boat a bit over the winter- but i would be worried something would happen.
    The Jouster stayed at Crinan for years, on a Crinan Boats mooring, but had to leave in the winter. I used to put her in the canal, but that's a lot less easy than it was because of the Boat Safety Scheme nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Check the forecast, don't go if there's the least uncertainty, but there's no reason not to go. Have escape routes planned in case things go pear-shaped - probably turn back to Gigha if north of the Mull, Sanda if southerly winds kick up and Campbelltown otherwise.

The main "tip" I observed when going round the MoK was to stay as close inshore as I dared at the Mull itself. I could see that the sea further offshore was much nastier than that close inshore.
    I agree on both counts. The inshore route is very, very inshore - you have to dodge round every point and into every bay - but it works well and is entertaining. We passed the lighthouse heading east at over 11kt this summer, of which only 4kt was the boat ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Thanks folks that all sounds very positive and glad to know it's potentially a goer
    Hopefully we will get a weather window now
    Nicho yes that would be good- it's just finding someone available- although I do have a potential offer via this forum !

It's just the distance that worries me - we had to cross the sound of jura after spending the night in pig bay earlier in the summer and it was horrible conditions - but it was only an hour of motoring- rounding the mull is a long way in comparison and it just makes me nervous
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crinan12 View Post
    It's just the distance that worries me - we had to cross the sound of jura after spending the night in pig bay earlier in the summer and it was horrible conditions - but it was only an hour of motoring- rounding the mull is a long way in comparison and it just makes me nervous
    From Gigha the plod south to Machrihanish seems to take for ever, but it's only four or five hours. Once you're at the south end of the bay there and you start picking up the tide and things go nice and quickly. Note what AntarcticPilot says, though and either go VERY close in or stay well off. That could be 1/2 mile or more - you'll see the no-go zone clearly.

Once you are round the Mull itself the Sound of Sanda is fine as long as the tide is with you and then up to Campbeltown's a doddle. We did it in about ten hours last time.

Please note that the CCC guides get the tides horribly wrong. If you do what they say you'll have a foul tide for hours and it Will Not Be Fun. In my boat I leave Gigha at HWD-4, but a handy guideline I was given here is to aim to arrive at the lighthouse for LW Greenock.

If you really, really don't fancy it, just stay three miles off and it's like any other bit of water with slightly stronger than usual tides, but that will add hours to your trip, partly because it's further and partly because you'll lose the tidal boost.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Thanks jumbleduck
    Yes I've read various threads on this site and elsewhere about the tide times
    I am new to this game but I was amazed that the CCC could get something as important as this wrong. Surely these things are triple triple triple checked
    Presumably they have been notified and will correct it (and apologise)
    Ta

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast