Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Delivery from Algarve

Friend wondering about bringing boat home from Algarve but is short of time. Anyone have a clue how much a delivery might cost him? 40 footer in good condition. He thought Iight know (ha!) but I said I would ask the forum in case a quote gives him a fright.

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Default Re: Delivery from Algarve

Last I checked, the going rate was US $ 1.50 per NM sailed plus all costs (food for three, diesel, marinas, repairs, return flight for the skipper and possible hotel bills, fees eg port fees.....).

This subject seems to come up occasionally on the Mobo forum, but in terms of road transport rather than by sea.
    If you can find a road transport company that is taking a yacht out to the Algarve, you might get a good rate for taking a boat back, as otherwise they would probably be going back empty (?)
    Although you would probably need to invest in a 'proper' cradle that could be securely strapped down to the low loader (?) .

Ask Halcyon Yachts - https://www.halcyonyachts.com/

They post videos on the forums from time to time. Their website has videos of recent deliveries; they seem to take lots of care.

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Last I checked, the going rate was US $ 1.50 per NM sailed plus all costs (food for three, diesel, marinas, repairs, return flight for the skipper and possible hotel bills, fees eg port fees.....).
    £150 per diem minimum or £1.50/NM, plust all the rest mentioned, depending upon what works out best for skipper.

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    £150 per diem minimum or £1.50/NM, plust all the rest mentioned, depending upon what works out best for skipper.
    Yep, I'd forgotten about the daily rate i.e. two weeks before departure just preparing the boat, plus several days at the end..... Adds up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Seems very cheap! 900 miles to Newlyn over the Bay of Biscay for $1350 plus costs.

Rent it for free to a sailor who wants to make a trip from A to B and allow for a defined period of use. Has been done before quite often.

You just need to be meticulous on who the renter is. However ... same story for the person who takes your money to sail the ship home.

Quote Originally Posted by PHN View Post
    Rent it for free to a sailor who wants to make a trip from A to B and allow for a defined period of use. Has been done before quite often.

You just need to be meticulous on who the renter is. However ... same story for the person who takes your money to sail the ship home.
    North to South maybe but South to North can be a chore as it's against the normally prevailing everything! Unlikely to find a crew to help for free in return for “holiday” sailing time.
    Last edited by Wandering Star; 05-10-19 at 19:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Star View Post
    North to South maybe but South to North can be a chore as it's against the normally prevailing everything! Unlikely to find a crew to help for free in return for “holiday” sailing time.
    If I had time available for that trip I would certainly want to participate. Challenging trip.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast