Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which clothing?

Default Which clothing?

Really I'm just trying to find out what you guys thinks work. I've seen a number of sailors grab a woolly jumper and a pair of jeans with a cotton t-shirt (and I'm thinking...that'll sink like a brick) but then, I'm new so I wrap up really well and am sensitive to the cold/wind so I wrap up really well (too well ).

What are you guys wearing when you go coastal sailing. Do you have any rules of thumb for forecast (I'm talking MetOffice Coastal Forecast here rather than landlubber forecast) temperatures?

Are you a t-shirt and shorts sailor whatever the weather or do you have a series of go to clothes that you use like hydrophobic, practically drysuits for extra flotation?

Default Re: Which clothing?

Talk about sinking and flotation is just weird. We don't go in the water, and if someone's worried that they might, the correct solution is a lifejacket, not choosing different underwear.

I sail a cruising boat on the South Coast, and I aim not to be out in extreme conditions. If it's raining, I mostly sit under the sprayhood and let the autopilot do the steering - obviously that's not always possible, but the point is that in my usual sailing I don't expect to spend hours sitting on the windward toe-rail being lashed by rain and spray like I did as 19 year old race crew.

So I don't wear anything particularly exotic for sailing. Cheap polycotton hiking trousers that are thin and dry quickly, the same Decathlon walking shoes I use for most casual activities, an ordinary cotton T-shirt and some combination of other tops as required. I have a much-loved old canvas smock, a Regatta "shell jacket" handed out by my employer with their logo on, various fleeces, sweatshirts, and so on. If I know it's going to be cold, particularly at night, I do have a "thermal base layer" to add into the mix. And I have a set of oldish Gill oilskins for wet weather - though our cockpit is quite sheltered and depending on conditions I can often get away with just the jacket, with my legs sheltered by the high coamings. Boots I need to replace, actually - the soles on my previous set have gone completely hard and slippery to the point of being dangerous, and I've taken them off the boat. The fact that they got to this stage without me really noticing until some torrential rain a couple of weeks ago, shows how rarely I wear them.

Pete

decathalon seems to get very good reviews for jackets etc costing way less than the helle hanson et all. I like mountain warehouse sweat tex or whatever it's called teeshirts, dry quickly and don't smell for a day or 3 on longer passages

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    decathalon seems to get very good reviews for jackets etc costing way less than the helle hanson et all. I like mountain warehouse sweat tex or whatever it's called teeshirts, dry quickly and don't smell for a day or 3 on longer passages
    I wear mountain warehouse or regatta quick dry trousers and fleecy thermal tops or wool. Jeans are a notorious hypothermia cause when damp and I got chilled and caught a cold by forgetting not to wear cotton vest under fleece and coat on F6 torrential day.

We may hope to be out in good weather but needs must and Ive done lots of trips when reading sailing books in saloon of boat or pub might seem easier.

As for swimming - Drownproofing showed that clothing helped floatation and kept you warm - in the bristol channel you are not guaranteed much more than 45 minutes before cold kills you and you are hardly going to swim ashore from 3 miles out
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    I wear mountain warehouse or regatta quick dry trousers and fleecy thermal tops or wool. Jeans are a notorious hypothermia cause when damp and I got chilled and caught a cold by forgetting not to wear cotton vest under fleece and coat on F6 torrential day.

We may hope to be out in good weather but needs must and Ive done lots of trips when reading sailing books in saloon of boat or pub might seem easier.

As for swimming - Drownproofing showed that clothing helped floatation and kept you warm - in the bristol channel you are not guaranteed much more than 45 minutes before cold kills you and you are hardly going to swim ashore from 3 miles out
    Thanks for that, hadn't heard of drown proofing before. Was a good read thank you. Not sure it's possible with a PFD but good enough!

When I said flotation I meant: http://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/...tion-Suit.html or foam padded Salopettes. I suppose it depends on appetite for risk, those who potentially want an added five minutes in the water might opt for more buoyant hydrophobic insulating clothing for potential rescue. < The RYA safety first way. (Of course, not falling in and not going out in the cold and wet seem like very sensible precautions!)

Still I am asking for what you guys do. What do you guys find sensible and practicable for the kinds of sailing you do.

We have done a mixture of coastal and sea crossings around the UK for nearly half a century. Really good clothing can be an important addition to one's comfort, and with cold sails, safety. There were few good clothes in the '70s that one could afford, so the usual thing was light summer clothes for basics, adding smock and a thick woollen Jersey, with a thin waterproof jacket and trousers, needing a scarf to keep the spray out. The only thing from that era I still use is a warm bobble hat, not the same one.

For summer sailing, I wear light summer clothes, no longer the obligatory red trousers. I now have the option of wind-proof fleeces to add instead of wool, and salopettes and proper cruising jacket which are near enough waterproof and spray proof. For cold night sails, I have in reserve thermal socks, thermal undies, and old fleece-lined monkey suit and gloves.

There are other permutations of course, and to some extent it is what you can afford, but many of my clothes were expensive at the time but have given years of good service. I'm not going to mention brands because they are all good in some way or other and it is often what fit best that one will choose.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I stick my nose outside to get a feel for the conditions, then wear what I think is appropriate.
    I keep all manner of outdoor clothing onboard from swim trunks to immersion suit including woolly tracksuit trousers to wear under salopettes on a chilly night and a hiking cape to sling on over a Musto 'Bomber' jacket and lightweight hiking trousers in a short shower.
    If the weather changes then so do I!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    I stick my nose outside to get a feel for the conditions, then wear what I think is appropriate.
    I keep all manner of outdoor clothing onboard from swim trunks to immersion suit including woolly tracksuit trousers to wear under salopettes on a chilly night and a hiking cape to sling on over a Musto 'Bomber' jacket and lightweight hiking trousers in a short shower. If the weather changes then so do I!
    Well I have full immersion suits on board but not much fun if you need the loo often, so these are for abandon ship use only. I also have Gill waterproofs for bad weather, which are better than the council/outdoor worker ones I use for rowing out in dinghy. I avoid the much bulkier Gill for rowing. I would not expect a coastal skipper starting out to lash out on such gear.

Quick dry clothing is a good start and materials that keep some warmth when wet, and a good outdoor store can do these at no chandlery prices
    A boat is for going places

Most of the stuff on the market these is pretty competent at what it is meant to do. Brands are pretty much differentiated on the basis of their marketing and the snobbery or more often inverted snobbery of the observer which is probably irrelevant to the user. One thing I would advise where the number of changes/ability to wash kit might be limited is the use of a woolen base layer as the artificial fabric based ones can become somewhat unsociable.

Oh and I'd avoid the use of cotton (including denim) outside summer conditions and/or the pub as it isn't good insulation when damp.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 06-10-19 at 16:16.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Complete change this year.

For the past fifty years, I’ve worn any old worn out clothes to go sailing in, topped off with a pair of canvas shoes if fine and cheap nonslip boots and cheap oilskins if not fine.

This year I tried to join my betters:

Musto outer layer
    Musto mid layer
    Musto base layer either high activity or merino.
    Musto socks
    Dubarry boots.

Posh Backtow lifejacket

If it’s really nasty, drysuit and teddy.

It’s a revelation. I won’t willingly go back to being damp and miserable.
    Last edited by Kukri; 07-10-19 at 10:20.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast