Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which clothing?

Default Re: Which clothing?

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    The OP will be back in a minute to say he only sails in the summer.
    Oh I thought the posters were getting dressed for UK summers. Was wondering what they do in winter?

The OP will be back in a minute to say he only sails in the summer.
    ...or in the Carrib

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    The spray top is only any good for the top half. Plus it is not really warm. What goes with it for the bottom half?

Re the drysuit. After a few hours one is going to have to use the heads, getting it off is going to be a real chore if it is rough weather.
    I wear a spray top over a wetsuit for dinghy racing. For other boats, it's good over oilskin trousers.
    These tops are available fleece lined these days, from Rooster and other brands.

I don't find a drysuit is that hard to get on and off, it's all a faff, drysuit only slightly worse than oilskins, LJ etc.
    Modern neoprene seals help.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I wear a spray top over a wetsuit for dinghy racing. For other boats, it's good over oilskin trousers.
    +1 I often wear a buoyancy aid over a wetsuit, followed by a waterproof smock over the lot. Makes for a nice smooth exterior and a helps reduce windchill.

Personally, I try to avoid yachtie purchases. Stuff like HPX is very good, but has its limitations, is very expensive and eventually degrades.

The answer in part depends on your type of sailing and whether or not you expect to be constantly grinding the winches (perspiration).

For cold weather cruising a decent base layer is needed - merino wool vest and long johns from climbing shops are generally good value, artificial fibre for folk with sensitive skins but not so good imho.

In between is personal choice. I sometimes wear fibre pile salopettes, but jeans, thin cotton shirt with woollen pullover usually suffice. Over that, a fibre pile jacket can be worn. Again avoid yachtie gear if cash is tight. Nitrile gloves with fibre pile lining from a builders' merchant or fishermen's chandlers generally cost between £3 and £7 - more effective than yachtie gear several times the cost.

Top layer - see what the local fishermen are wearing. Guy Cotten gear comes in (at least) two different materials. I used Guy Cotten oilie and leggings on this year's trip to Shetland and Norway which was very wet and cold (for July), about 7 degrees or less for several days. Bone dry throughout apart from slight perspiration.

Boots: if we're likely to take a lot of salt water over the side I'll wear wellies, but for normal cold weather and rain I wear my Blundstone 584s, pricey but hard wearing, waterproof, warm, and will outlast me in all probability.
    Last edited by Sgeir; 08-10-19 at 09:51.
    Ω

The one item that’s only been mentioned once yet is ubiquitous amongst professional sailors. (Instructors, delivery crew etc etc) and it’s the snug jacket. I’m on about my sixth Musto Snug (other makes available) . The fact that the design hasn’t changed much in the last umpteen years must mean they’ve got something right. I think they’re brilliant and I wait until Musto have them on offer.
    Both my wife and I have long been fans of the Musto snugs, until a couple of years ago we discovered something even better: Henri Lloyd midlayer jacket with Primaloft insulation, lighter than the snugs and a lot warmer. Now even my wife never feels cold and that is an achievement. Trouble is with the partial demise of Henri Lloyd, I do not know whether this product will be continued.

For base layers I have also switched to merino wool as it is warm and does not have the odour problem that synthetics have.

Another tip: under my salopette I only wear long johns, more comfortable than any sort of trousers, as they donot restrict movement or absorb moisture.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post

Correction to earlier post:

Musto HPX outer layer, salopettes and jacket.

Musto Goretex mid layer, salopettes and jacket.

Musto base layer either high activity or merino.

Musto socks

Dubarry boots.

Posh Backtow lifejacket

If it’s really nasty, Henri-Lloyd offshore drysuit and teddy, with decent socks in the socks and a pair of short deck boots (prefer to wetsuit boots as warmer).
    Yes it cost a fortune, when I had kitted out my sons as well, but sailing costs a fortune anyway; one might as well be comfortable.
    Last edited by Kukri; 08-10-19 at 12:47.

The one item thatís only been mentioned once yet is ubiquitous amongst professional sailors. (Instructors, delivery crew etc etc) and itís the snug jacket.
    I bought my Musto 'bomber' jacket several years ago, now long out of production, half price sale from the Musto outlet in Clarks Village, nr Bridgwater.
    It's not dissimilar to this not Musto) (see yachting world article HERE)
    Slam-Flying-Jacket.jpg
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    On a similar vein, why cant most makers of long-johns and salopettes add flies? I always take a sharp knife to mine - fashion it isn't, I need to pee.
    My all-in-one flotation suit has a two way zip. It has one major issue, in that if you are sat down in it in the rain, the water puddles in your lap and seeps through the bottom of the zip, so you have to wear waterproof trousers underneath!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    Both my wife and I have long been fans of the Musto snugs, until a couple of years ago we discovered something even better: Henri Lloyd midlayer jacket with Primaloft insulation, lighter than the snugs and a lot warmer. Now even my wife never feels cold and that is an achievement. Trouble is with the partial demise of Henri Lloyd, I do not know whether this product will be continued.
    if you can no longer get them have a look at the Keela range, a military/mountain clothing company that has a very good record with this sort of item.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast