Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which clothing?

Default Re: Which clothing?

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    The OP will be back in a minute to say he only sails in the summer.
    The OP will be sailing in all weathers, hence asking for the rules of thumbs . Do you guys change your clothes like you put reefs in (i.e. when it reaches a certain temp or expect it to be a certain temp and then who the hell cares...). I'm still reading, paying attention and researching the various answers. I've been quite surprised so far (that said I freeze at the slightest hint of a breeze, you won't catch me, even in the height of summer going into the Bristol Channel with anything less than two layers, but I found I was wearing cotton and that's a no no it seems!).

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    I've been quite surprised so far (that said I freeze at the slightest hint of a breeze, you won't catch me, even in the height of summer going into the Bristol Channel with anything less than two layers, but I found I was wearing cotton and that's a no no it seems!).
    Cotton is useful for protecting one's modesty, but that's about all. The height of my sartorial ambition is to be able to sail with the boats reefed down, but wearing only a sleeveless shirt (etc). This doesn't happen very often in northern waters but I've done it a few times in the Baltic. No planning is involved in dressing, other than trying to avoid leaving essential kit at home.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

The one item thatís only been mentioned once yet is ubiquitous amongst professional sailors. (Instructors, delivery crew etc etc) and itís the snug jacket.
    Agree!

I bought one specifically for the occasional days I go to sea with work - I'll mostly be peering into a laptop in the wheelhouse, so I don't need full oilies, but I might need to nip out on deck to adjust equipment, and of course get to and from the boat, and even inside it can be chilly in winter.

But I now wear it very often as a general casual jacket, and it always comes with me sailing. Perfect when it's a bit wet and chilly but not properly belting it down and demanding full oilies.

A baseball cap under your foulie hood helps turn the hood in the direction you are trying to look in.
    Personally I don't like hoods. I used to wear it, pulled down tight so I could barely see, when plonked on the rail as movable ballast - there's no doubt it's the most weatherproof option. But otherwise I prefer to wear a hat than a hood.

Pete

The one item thatís only been mentioned once yet is ubiquitous amongst professional sailors. (Instructors, delivery crew etc etc) and itís the snug jacket. Iím on about my sixth Musto Snug (other makes available) . The fact that the design hasnít changed much in the last umpteen years must mean theyíve got something right. I think theyíre brilliant and I wait until Musto have them on offer.

Is this the one...?

https://www.force4.co.uk/musto-snug-...inder-l-m.html

I love these, keeps the water out, warm lining, excellent. Shame they have only been making them recently with dark/black lining; I liked the jolly colours.

One vital nautical item so far overlooked is a good pair of carpet slippers. Nothing better at the end of long day, boots off bar open.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    (see yachting world article HERE)
    Attachment 80861
    Not surprised the Henri Lloyd jacket I referred to in an earlier post gets the highest marks 5/5 for use at sea. It is the warmest I have ever worn.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Is this the one...?

https://www.force4.co.uk/musto-snug-...inder-l-m.html

I love these, keeps the water out, warm lining, excellent. Shame they have only been making them recently with dark/black lining; I liked the jolly colours..
    I don't like the idea of 'knitted cuffs and hem', makes for soggy hands. Mine has cuffs and hem the same material as the jacket.
    One vital nautical item so far overlooked is a good pair of carpet slippers. Nothing better at the end of long day, boots off bar open.
    Crocks (look alike) for me, in fact, on nice days I wear them on deck!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    I don't like the idea of 'knitted cuffs and hem', makes for soggy hands. Mine has cuffs and hem the same material as the jacket.

Crocks (look alike) for me, in fact, on nice days I wear them on deck!
    I sort of agree about the cuffs but the simple answer is not to treat your snug as anything more than a layer under a proper waterproof top. My Musto Ocean HPX have Velcro’s inner and outer cuffs that stop water (mostly) getting down your sleeve. Most of us don’t sail with our arms in the air letting water gather.

I suppose if you want to stay totally dry then get a dry suit. ...

On the other hand if it’s only a light shower I just wear the snug. If it looks like proper rain it’s ‘pass my foulies please’.
    Last edited by john_morris_uk; 10-10-19 at 07:17.
    Semper aliud

I remember sailing from Portsmouth to Burnham-on-Crouch it was so cold we had to wear thermals and wet weather gear. When we arrived everyone was wearing T shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    I remember sailing from Portsmouth to Burnham-on-Crouch it was so cold we had to wear thermals and wet weather gear. When we arrived everyone was wearing T shirts.
    Blimey it took you five months?

I dont wear any sailing gear, apart from dubarry seaboots. I used wellies but the seaboots are great, well worth the money.

For everything else I use my climbing gear. For real warmth I wear my big down jacket, protected under my Keela goretex waterproofs.

Working round from Cumbria to Essex via Lands End over a winter, I was snug and toasty, despite being at the helm for up to 10 hours, (with short breaks to mash tea or brew coffee) (no autopilot) with merino thermal longjohns and top, Craghoppers fleece lined trousers, Rad windproof midlayer, Lowe fleece jumper, rab down duvet, french made (forget brand) fleece climbing jacket, keela goretex waterproof with berghaus waterproof salopettes, a fleece snood, and a fleece lined goretex hat. When it was shitting it down I added silk balaclava, ice climbing waterproof overmitts and ski goggles.

That's pretty much my sailing gear all year round, I just shed layers when its warmer, and if its summery, I wear shorts and t shirt and bare feet.

Edited as i forgot to add: the sallopettes, fleece jumper, and fleece jkt are about 30 years old. The duvet, the trousers and the goretex are about 12 years old. The boots are the only new thing, I got them halfway through the trip, so xmas 2017. Anyway, that climbing gear has been hard used and is still going strong, so superb value for money. That was before they became fashion brands, so not sure how the modern stuff would hold up, prob vary by brand.
    Last edited by steve yates; 10-10-19 at 11:47.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast