Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which clothing?

Default Re: Which clothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    One thing I would advise where the number of changes/ability to wash kit might be limited is the use of a woolen base layer as the artificial fabric based ones can become somewhat unsociable.
    When fleeces came out 25 years ago I was advised to avoid travelling in car back from climbing weekends with one couple as washing facilities in camping barns and bothies are limited.

Maybe thats why me and the Navigator so often get a table to ourselves when going ashore to pubs for supper. Shower equipped harbours are essential every 2 or 3 days Merino wool long johns great if they dont make you itch.
    A boat is for going places

Really depends on the weather!

I was out in the Solent last weekend, where was everybody all we saw was the Red Funnel boats, in shorts, a tee shirt and my canvas smock.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Whatever takes your fancy really..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

As ladyinbed said, it depends. I generally wear lightweight trousers and a tee shirt with a sweatshirt on top. Take a fleece and wind/waterproof jacket with me if it’s likely to rain. Waterproof overtrousers on kept on the boat for if it gets wet.
    If we’re going out overnight, then extra layers for the night (base layer plus mid layer from Mountain Warehouse or Go Outdoors) and a neck warmer. Woolly hat is obligatory wear for much of the year owing to lack of hair these days.

Me in Fleet, the boat at Universal Marina, River Hamble.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    And I have a set of oldish Gill oilskins for wet weather - though our cockpit is quite sheltered and depending on conditions I can often get away with just the jacket, with my legs sheltered by the high coamings.
    I find I often wear salopettes, and not my oilie jacket, not least because in the morning the cockpit is often wet with dew, and I don't like getting a wet bum when sitting down......

To answer the OP, I'd say a reasonable set of oilies are essential for sailing in the UK, together with lots of layers to go underneath. Fleece jumpers / jackets and quick drying walking kit is good, and much better price than pukka sailing gear from the chandlers.
    Andy B.
    Sadler 290 "Mr Blue Sky"

I have been looking at said Merino wear. £22 for a pair of boxers! Allegedly not itchy after the first wash (or maybe you just get used to it). As for 'oilies' II'll be giving them some thought, I want to get away from polywhateveritsnameisthistime though.

Very much like the idea of wearing salopettes first thing in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    I have been looking at said Merino wear. £22 for a pair of boxers! Allegedly not itchy after the first wash (or maybe you just get used to it). As for 'oilies' II'll be giving them some thought, I want to get away from polywhateveritsnameisthistime though.

Very much like the idea of wearing salopettes first thing in the morning!
    There are bargains to be had on Merino, for instance at Aldi at the moment. That said my experience is that the better known brands are worth it, I have a far amount from Icebreaker, not sure that I'd wear wool boxers though - rugby players' lycra is quite sufficient.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 06-10-19 at 19:40.

As others have said it depends on the weather. But two tips we found through experience while sailing in the arctic, although admittedly it isn't necessarily that cold as one goes there in summer; a March afternoon in the Solent can be just as perishing!

1. wear woollen jumpers rather than fleeces - not because fleeces are necessarily bad but they seem terribly variable
    2. 'Ron Hill' tracksters (rufty-tufty lycra as worn by the SAS) under the oilskin trousers are much better than jeans or other cotton trousers.
    Last edited by jdc; 06-10-19 at 21:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    Really I'm just trying to find out what you guys thinks work. I've seen a number of sailors grab a woolly jumper and a pair of jeans with a cotton t-shirt (and I'm thinking...that'll sink like a brick) but then, I'm new so I wrap up really well and am sensitive to the cold/wind so I wrap up really well (too well ).

What are you guys wearing when you go coastal sailing. Do you have any rules of thumb for forecast (I'm talking MetOffice Coastal Forecast here rather than landlubber forecast) temperatures?

Are you a t-shirt and shorts sailor whatever the weather or do you have a series of go to clothes that you use like hydrophobic, practically drysuits for extra flotation?
    If it's cold then wool is the way to go. Wear a lifejacket for floatation.
    Buck Frexit

A decent set of oilies is worth the money. I'd had a set of cheapies for several years; they'd faded to manky pink and were of dubious waterproofness. I was going as sighted crew on a boat taking blind people sailing and Milady said, "You're not going on someone else's boat with those." "But they're blind" "Don't care, get yourself some new ones". Well, I know when I'm on a loser, so off I went to the shop. I tried on the affordable ones and had pretty much decided on a set, but then I made the mistake of trying on a set of Gill Atlantics. I came out of the shop with my credit card in cardiac arrest and a set of the Gills. The most I've ever spent on an item of clothing, but I've never regretted them. Unless you're never going to go out in rain or strong wind, decent oilies are worth every penny. You probably don't need the ones designed for the Southern Ocean, but a good set of offshore ones will make all the difference when you're out there on a day when anyone with any sense is sitting by the fire with a pint.

Underneath, a Musto Snug or equivalent is a good thing to have when it's chilly, but not bad enough for oilies. Otherwise, whatever you wear normally, but fleece rather than sweater. I'm a great fan of Craghopper hiking trousers, or similar. Regatta is OK, the really cheap ones aren't - you really do get what you pay for, but I get 'em from TK Maxx or in sales. Lots of pockets, so you've got somewhere for your phone and wallet when you don't want to wear a jacket. Jeans are a complete no-no in anything less than ideal conditions. When wet, they take forever to dry, and will chill you to the bone.

As for flotation, the most important thing is to make sure you never need it. I try to treat my lifejacket, with built-in harness, like I treat my seat belt in the car, and the rule is, unless the boats attached to the ground - anchored or moored - clip on when going out of the cockpit. You're working at the mast, the sea's flat, so why clip on? You don't notice the big mobo going past. Then the wake arrives and, suddenly, you're swimming.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast