Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which clothing?

Default Re: Which clothing?

Dubarry deck shoes with ordinary socks but sealskin socks if it is going to be cold & wet. Dickies work wear trousers (surprisingly warm) with Musto base layer trousers if it is going to be really cold. I do have a full on trouser/chest fleece which hardly gets worn.

M&S pants, --sniff tested when single handed, but certainly changed, along with trousers, before venturing ashore to pay harbour dues etc, as mistakes get made often at my age!!! Getting sailing gear off for the " necessaries" can be extremely difficult in F6 in a 31 ft yacht. (Talk about shooting oneself in the foot!!) Why cannot manufacturers address the problem of quick accessibility?Even the base layer trousers lack " access holes" so demand partial removal like a mistresse's tights. Then you have to tuck it all back in, just as the AIS CPA alarm goes off

Musto base layer vest- always- Musto padded jacket with collar, add another fleece under that on a few rare occasions. Musto MPX jacket & trousers as soon as temperature drops or any sign of spray or rain- virtually all the time. Woolen hat ( never without it, as essential kit). Spinlock LJ (always from moment I untie, until boat tied up)
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 07-10-19 at 16:00.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    ... Merino wool long johns great if they dont make you itch.

Agree with that completely. Keep an eye out in Aldi and Lidl, especially at this time of year as they do some cheap but quite good quality Merino wool base layers as a special occasionally.

Wool might be great if it's really cold, like sub zero with low humidity, but for a typical UK week of wind and drizzle, I'd stick to man made fibres which dry more easily.
    Particularly for racing I like a dinghy sailor's spray top with a good neck seal, and a waterproof beanie hat.
    At night in the cold I want a decent oily jacket with a really good hood, but sometimes it's just too enclosed and shuts you off from other people too much.
    Your hood/collar/neckwear are critical. My jacket works best with one roll-neck layer. Sometimes I use a neck cowl sold by motorbike shops.

When it's really cold and wet, a drysuit is the thing to have, but I tend to want a shower after wearing mine for a few hours. It's more for racing.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Particularly for racing I like a dinghy sailor's spray top with a good neck seal, and a waterproof beanie hat.
    When it's really cold and wet, a drysuit is the thing to have, but I tend to want a shower after wearing mine for a few hours. It's more for racing.
    The spray top is only any good for the top half. Plus it is not really warm. What goes with it for the bottom half?

Re the drysuit. After a few hours one is going to have to use the heads, getting it off is going to be a real chore if it is rough weather.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I use Musto HPX, and dubarry boots, expensive but worth every penny to not be wet and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Re the drysuit. After a few hours one is going to have to use the heads, getting it off is going to be a real chore if it is rough weather.
    After a few hours? Kettle on as we leave mooring, kettle on if nerves need steadying or to pass the time. At my age and bladder prostate condition I am lucky to last 30 minutes after tea and accidentally wetting myself would never add to the glamour. My drysuit is a survival one for abandon-ship use only when damp underwear might be the least of my worries.

On a similar vein, why cant most makers of long-johns and salopettes add flies? I always take a sharp knife to mine - fashion it isn't, I need to pee.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by cueball View Post
    I use Musto HPX, and dubarry boots, expensive but worth every penny to not be wet and cold.
    Same and I quite agree.
    Semper aliud

The one item that’s only been mentioned once yet is ubiquitous amongst professional sailors. (Instructors, delivery crew etc etc) and it’s the snug jacket. I’m on about my sixth Musto Snug (other makes available) . The fact that the design hasn’t changed much in the last umpteen years must mean they’ve got something right. I think they’re brilliant and I wait until Musto have them on offer.

The only advice I give to crew if they ask is NO JEANS (as in denim) because denim gets really wet and takes ages to dry and is cold.

Socks with deck shoes! Ugh!! Get a life. If it’s cold put socks and boots on. The only time I might wear socks is to go ashore.

If the weathers half decent I’m in shorts. Otherwise some chino type trousers or canvas sailing trousers (some cheap make; I’m not fussy) and polo shirts and layers if necessary.
    I’ve got various thermals and woolly hats and various sorts of gloves for the winter.

A baseball cap under your foulie hood helps turn the hood in the direction you are trying to look in.
    Last edited by john_morris_uk; 08-10-19 at 07:27.
    Semper aliud

Several votes for HPX here, my wife has a set but I find HPX cumbersome and heavy when working on the foredeck or generally running around, esp when wet. I prefer a lighter and more flexible breathable drysuit. Best to check before buying.

Re gloves: a friend of mine from Finland advised to keep 2-3 pairs per person in a warm(ish) place and if conditions permit run a 'hotroom' -- basically any wetroom with a heating vent -- where stuff can be dried and warmed. Makes a big difference, transformational I'd say.

Also, while the torso is important, don't forget the often neglected areas of high heat loss such as legs, glutes, face, etc. Full thermal underware + thermal longjohns are a good idea, as is a thermal balaclava beneath one's oily cap. For beating into big winter winds, I find clear spray goggles a significant aid to comfort.

Finally, winter is a great time for tinned soups and stewy things. They even taste quite good when, "the weather outside is frightful....."!
    Last edited by dom; 08-10-19 at 07:38.

The OP will be back in a minute to say he only sails in the summer.
    Semper aliud

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast