Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Whitby?

Default Re: Whitby?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I'm hopping down the NE coast from the Tyne to Brittany and wondering if Whitby is a good place to spend the night, any good or bad experiences, or is anyone based there? I've read Henry Irving's pilot and the almanacs, ( the tide serves very well for getting in there, maybe not quite so well for leaving to the south). I'm just trying to get a feel for the place really. Will have two crew who will require a pub..TIA
    f you get tired, I suggest you pull in to Hartlepool Marina. Easy mooring on sheltered pontoons, and loads of good restaurants very close. Asda in sight. Plus fuel, water, showers, and a lift out crane if you need it. Just check lock-in times re tides, but it's manned 24/7.
    Last edited by elton; 07-10-19 at 00:12.

If you do get to Whitby you will see plenty of homage to Captains Cook and Scoresby but donít miss out on looking into Captain Jack Lammiman and the Helga Maria.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    If you do get to Whitby you will see plenty of homage to Captains Cook and Scoresby but don’t miss out on looking into Captain Jack Lammiman and the Helga Maria.
    Thanks, will do.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    f you get tired, I suggest you pull in to Hartlepool Marina. Easy mooring on sheltered pontoons, and loads of good restaurants very close. Asda in sight. Plus fuel, water, showers, and a lift out crane if you need it. Just check lock-in times re tides, but it's manned 24/7.
    And the Trincomallee
    Pardon?

In these conditions go to Scarborugh which is about 16 miles South and helpfully faces S meaning that when one of these options is bad the other is good.

I go up and down this coast regularly and find the best way S is to stay over in Scarborough and leave well before HW to get round the tidal gate of Flamborough Head. I then do a 20-24 hour leg directly to Lowestoft heading in a straight from 2 miles off Flamborough to the Cockle Buoy . The N sea between Flamborough and the Norflok coast is very busy with lots of shipping coming in and out of the Humber so you need to be alert.
    Hope this helps
    I thought Scarborough dried or has very limited depths?
    Pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    And the Trincomallee
    Yep, definitely worth a look around.

I thought Scarborough dried or has very limited depths?
    Yes it does
    John Hawkins

And the Trincomallee
    Absolutely! The ship and museum ensure I will put into Hartlepool even in perfect weather, I love all that stuff.
    Here 's a piccy of a 30-pounder on the frigate Jylland (a bit like the Warrior, steam + sail) in Denmark, with my boom visible below. This cannon fired a blank at noon, and it literally shivered my timbers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 07-10-19 at 18:15.
    John Hawkins

Scarborough has a visitor pontoon which does not dry although you have to stay close to it as it shelves up after about 5 m away. Access is about 3 h either side so less restrictive than the bridge at Whitby

Scarborough has a visitor pontoon which does not dry although you have to stay close to it as it shelves up after about 5 m away. Access is about 3 h either side so less restrictive than the bridge at Whitby
    Aha thanks
    John Hawkins

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast