Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Whitby?

Default Re: Whitby?

I'd be cautious of a visit to Hartlepool! Don't eat any banana's or be tempted to swing around a lampost! They have been known to hang strangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    The coast from Hartlepool to Whitby runs roughly West-East and Whitby harbour faces roughly North making it dangerous in strong Northerlies. In these conditions go to Scarborugh which is about 16 miles South and helpfully faces S meaning that when one of these options is bad the other is good.
    A lifetime ago I lived in Whitby and sailed out of there for ten years, as far north as the Firth of Forth and regularly to IJmuiden, Holland.

Halo's points are all excellent, especially the quote above - this is the entrance with a strong northerly.

Attached Images Attached Images

You need to stand well out before heading South when the weather is like the picture, as it's shallow off the cliffs below the Abbey and it gets a bit lumpy.
    The lifeboat lives inside the harbour and makes it out in those conditions. But it wouldn't be my choice !

Thanks guys.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    Never been there, but I understand the entrance can be nasty in in the wrong conditions - esp northerlies

MAIB - Last Call and ISTR another incident.
    The MAIB report on Last Call is a disturbing read but the professionalism and competence of the RNLI crew, HM staff and others involved is reassuring. I bought my first 'proper' boat there and it's a nice town. I had it trucked west, though, so no first hand experience of navigation.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    f you get tired, I suggest you pull in to Hartlepool Marina. Easy mooring on sheltered pontoons, and loads of good restaurants very close. Asda in sight. Plus fuel, water, showers, and a lift out crane if you need it. Just check lock-in times re tides, but it's manned 24/7.
    I am sorry to say that for me Hartlepool is the dreariest, saddest harbour I visited on my trip round Britain, and one of the worst I have visited in over 35 years of sailing all over Western Europe. I will gladly suffer a few extra hours of hardship sailing to the next harbour.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    I thought Scarborough dried or has very limited depths?
    I spent a night in a visitor’s berth there and had no problems with my 2.1m draught

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    I am sorry to say that for me Hartlepool is the dreariest, saddest harbour I visited on my trip round Britain, and one of the worst I have visited in over 35 years of sailing all over Western Europe. I will gladly suffer a few extra hours of hardship sailing to the next harbour.
    Did you get mistaken for a monkey
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Did you get mistaken for a monkey
    You’d have to ask the person in the office, he was the only living soul I met. The place was utterly deserted (Middle of August), plenty of neglected boats, a facilities block that had the feeling of a prison, harbour surrounded by soulless apartment blocks.
    Give me the quirky charm of Whitby any day.

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    I would agree; the harbour is a bit bleak, but I referred to the marina

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast