Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Whitby?

Default Re: Whitby?

You can do anything in Hartlepool that you are man enough to do.

Next time try the Rat Race bar on the station.

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    I am sorry to say that for me Hartlepool is the dreariest, saddest harbour I visited on my trip round Britain, and one of the worst I have visited in over 35 years of sailing all over Western Europe. I will gladly suffer a few extra hours of hardship sailing to the next harbour.
    Do you mean the harbour or marina?
    You have clearly never been to that "tourist" spot on the Humber- Whoever put the "Grim" in Grimsby knew what they were doing. Have to say the club members are a happy welcoming lot though. I think that they must put them on wacky baccy so that they do not know where they are

As for the showers in that mock lighthouse in Scarborough!!!, get your Typhoid injections up to date first.
    Blyth does not exactly inspire happiness either.

Go the other side of UK, to the marina opposite Oban & try having a shower when there is a water shortage. Or come to that, just try having a shower (just after someone has had a s..t before you want your shower adds to the experience)

Mate, you just have not lived.
    To be honest, after leaving Eyemouth you may as well stay at sea all the way to Lowestoft

Back to Whitby- Is there not a rule that if you overstay by an hour or so, due to bridge opening, tides etc. you have to pay another full days fees?? or is that just a rumour to stop you going there?
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 09-10-19 at 08:43.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post

As for the showers in that mock lighthouse in Scarborough!!!, get your Typhoid injections up to date first.
    You are well out of date. There are new showers right by the pontoon gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Do you mean the harbour or marina?
    You have clearly never been to that "tourist" spot on the Humber- Whoever put the "Grim" in Grimsby knew what they were doing. Have to say the club members are a happy welcoming lot though. I think that they must put them on wacky baccy so that they do not know where they are

Blyth does not exactly inspire happiness either.

Go the other side of UK, to the marina opposite Oban & try having a shower when there is a water shortage. Or come to that, just try having a shower (just after someone has had a s..t before you want your shower adds to the experience)

Mate, you just have not lived.
    To be honest, after leaving Eyemouth you may as well stay at sea all the way to Lowestoft

Back to Whitby- Is there not a rule that if you overstay by an hour or so, due to bridge opening, tides etc. you have to pay another full days fees?? or is that just a rumour to stop you going there?
    I meant Hartlepool marina and I stand by my remarks.
    As to Kerrera/Oban, when I was there the facilities were not up to scratch, but somehow when you're in Scotland you accept that may be part of the deal. When I was in Mallaig there were pontoons but no facilities, I had to go for a shower in a restaurant. But in Scotland much is compensated by the surroundings, which I'm afraid isn't the case in Hartlepool.
    I skipped Blyth that time, I had been there before, but had a perfectly acceptable stop at North Shields and Amble. I do not subscribe to the view that the East Coast might as well be skipped altogether. The anchorages at Lindisfarne/Holy Island and the Farne Islands are absolutely worthwhile. But of course, that is from someone who hasn't lived, I defer to your much greater and deeper experience.

[QUOTE=Daydream
    To be honest, after leaving Eyemouth you may as well stay at sea all the way to Lowestoft QUOTE]

Well I have spent seasons sailing in all stretches of the UK coast from Oban anti clockwise to Edinburgh and IMHO the stretch from Eyemouth to Scarborough is one of the best (though not rivalling West Highlands or Solent ). Winds tend to be offshore, itís quiet boatwise, wildlife in the Farnes is the best in the uk with resident dolphins and massive bird colonies, you can party off the boat in Newcastle city centre, folks are friendly and costs reasonable.

Having said that if you are of a negative disposition before arriving it is best if you go straight from Eyemouth to Lowestoft.

Just tied up in Hartlepool marina.. a lovely friendly welcome from the staff, lots going on, I can see the yards of a square rigger, and the sun's come out!
    This is my favourite type of British harbour, with a long seafaring history, a maritime museum, and a mix of large ships,tugs, trawlers, windfarm cats, yachts of all flavours, liveaboards, and even some children out on dinghies.
    Fantastic!
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 09-10-19 at 15:01.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Did you get mistaken for a monkey
    I don't think he got that and best not mention it to the locals while your there; they are a tad touchy about it!

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    The anchorages at Lindisfarne/Holy Island and the Farne Islands are absolutely worthwhile. But of course, that is from someone who hasn't lived, I defer to your much greater and deeper experience.
    Well I did go to school in Berwick upon Tweed & returned later, for 14 years. So I know a lot of that coast from the land side. In particular Holy island
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Just tied up in Hartlepool marina.. a lovely friendly welcome from the staff, lots going on, I can see the yards of a square rigger, and the sun's come out!
    This is my favourite type of British harbour, with a long seafaring history, a maritime museum, and a mix of large ships,tugs, trawlers, windfarm cats, yachts of all flavours, liveaboards, and even some children out on dinghies.
    Fantastic!
    Old Hartlepool is worth a look, if you have time. Especially the formidable Heugh gun battery, dating from WW1. The old harbour contains a lot of private boats, but requires deft footwork on the dodgy pontoons. It's within walking distance of the marina.
    Last edited by elton; 09-10-19 at 16:33.

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    I don't think he got that and best not mention it to the locals while your there; they are a tad touchy about it!
    So much so that the local football club uses H'angus the Monkey as its mascot!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast