Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mercury 3.3 HP gear/propeller issue

Salutary lesson, shear pin from a nail equals damaged prop. Shear pins are made from a soft material and are designed to fail early, hence saving the prop.

I buy 4mm brass rod from B&Q and cut it up. 1m makes a lot of shear pins.

I use my 3.5 tohatsu to push a 2.7m inflatable dinghy. The shear pin slot is damaged and I think I lined it with bent aluminium but I do wonder whether more pitch on the prop would be advantageous and the engine seems very lightly loaded.

Seeing the price of those props may make me investigate further.

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    There is plenty of replacement on ebay.
    I used quite lot of force and thick screwdriver, and managed to remove remaining bit. Turned out, shear pin was made out of nail, both ends were flattened to the shaft and plastic bit ripped...
    I wonder if I should repair it with JB Weld epoxy or buy new one. Split and shear pins are already ordered....

Making a bit more sense now, it looks as if the propeller is metal with a plastic insert. The ones I've seen have been all plastic where a single part makes more sense. I can see why a metal one would have the insert.

It might also be a possible explanation of the newer shear pins I bought. The original type were quite soft and needed to be replaced every 1-2 years because they had a distinct bend. The new ones look like pretty solid stainless pins and I can't see them bending. I was dubious that they'd shear but was told that they were original parts, perhaps they are intended for a metal propeller.

It looks as if your metal propeller has a toothed section engaging with slots on the insert. That would allow the drive to slip on impact, perhaps the pin is now more like a drive pin rather than a shear pin.

It would be useful to know if this guess is correct.

Hi
    This is an after market prop. The hubs are sealed in and different to the genuine one.
    Iím going to guess that someone has fitted something other than a shear pin for this to happen.
    Replace it with a genuine one. They arenít dear.

Propeller is plastic. Metal bit on the top left corner of the photo was used as shear pin. I don't think propeller could slip on insert. I got new shear split pin from ebay, looks solid, but as my propeller is protected by keel, I don't need to worry about it too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12