Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Growth

Default Re: Absolute Growth

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Hopefully I think Mr and Mrs N are going to try one more season as they only got the N57 mid summer.
    We plan to catch up with them ( metaphorically speaking ) next season.
    Well, if you will eventually catch up again and they will want to get rid of the thing, you can pass on to them my previous offer.
    Not that I'm unhappy with the DP, but after 17 years of D cruising in comfort and silence, anything else feels like a compromise.

At the end of the day, I think that's the main rationale behind the silly Nordhavns prices, either new or used:
    Both the builder and the owners know that there aren't many folks around who like a boat that takes forever to get nowhere, but most of those who do are willing to pay whatever it takes...

Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    Nordhavn is build and finished in China.
    Which is yet another reason why I'll never buy their theory that it costs much more (for any given size) to build a N'havn rather than a Ferretti, Fairline, or whatever.

Btw, just for the records, the N57 above is still one of their proper boats, built by Ta Shing in Taiwan.
    I'd never consider one of their boats built in mainland China, which had problems as serious as delamination (among many others)...

Quote Originally Posted by PalmaTarga View Post
    I live in Sweden now, and the cost of everything in Scandinavia is disproportionally more expensive than anywhere else I've lived in Europe. Living costs and taxes (personal and business) are higher, so every hand that's been involved in production throughout the supply chain will bump up prices on anything manufactured in the area.
    I think you mean a born and bread Swed would not feel the VFM discrepancy ( between a N or typically Italian built planing boat ) as acutely that MapisM native country men would.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Well, if you will eventually catch up again and they will want to get rid of the thing, you can pass on to them my previous offer.
    Not that I'm unhappy with the DP, but after 17 years of D cruising in comfort and silence, anything else feels like a compromise.

At the end of the day, I think that's the main rationale behind the silly Nordhavns prices, either new or used:
    Both the builder and the owners know that there aren't many folks around who like a boat that takes forever to get nowhere, but most of those who do are willing to pay whatever it takes...
    It’s a pity you can’t somehow borrow a prospective boat for a week end or something to try it .To see if it hits or ticks boxes .
    Short of formal charter or a quick dealer run around a bay .
    You know considering the sums involved etc .
    Better still arrange a short list and do a back to back to arrive the best fit for purpose.

You can with cars , dealers lend them or give you an upgrade when yours is in for work .
    Nearest thing in boat world that I have experienced is the Ferretti Monaco preview , it’s a free for all have a go week end , albeit a 20 min run out in the bay but at least it’s a run out and you can helm and mess about with the throttles and run the thing at any wave angle to get the feel of it .
    Yo can check out the number of steps or size of freezer another time easily or on line .

As I said listening to the N57 folks ( admittedly my only N owners contact ) and thinking Med use and what W said about a Baia 63 Azurri crossing to a big island in the Med , it does make you wonder which ones got it right ?
    'Fiuaskme, it's blatantly obvious that a N'havn doesn't make sense in the Med, unless you rate cruising comfort above anything else.

Trouble is, the real answer to your question is neither.
    I mean, if anyone onboard doesn't like cruising at all, even assuming that for them it is better to "suffer" for 2 hours rather than 10, they should still address the elephant in the room, first and foremost: why not forget boating altogether?
    It's called pleasure boating for a reason, and there's no point insisting with it for those who don't get any pleasure, regardless of speed/time.

'Fiuaskme, it's blatantly obvious that a N'havn doesn't make sense in the Med, unless you rate cruising comfort above anything else.

Trouble is, the real answer to your question is neither.
    I mean, if anyone onboard doesn't like cruising at all, even assuming that for them it is better to "suffer" for 2 hours rather than 10, they should still address the elephant in the room, first and foremost: why not forget boating altogether?
    It's called pleasure boating for a reason, and there's no point insisting with it for those who don't get any pleasure, regardless of speed/time.
    I agree, Nordies and the like don't really work in the Med where you need lots of sunbathing / open cockpit space.

Talking of boat values, I was talking to a customer the other day who was looking for a T34 but was finding that T43's (complete with A/C, Genset and Pasarelle) were pretty much the same price. Figure that one out!

And talking of wives, mine recently proclaimed that she'd rather have a bigger boat than an apartment. She prefers Sportscruisers too.

It’s a pity you can’t somehow borrow a prospective boat for a week end or something to try it .To see if it hits or ticks boxes .
    Short of formal charter or a quick dealer run around a bay .
    Well, chartering a similar boat is a good way to get the feeling of the whole cruising/liveaboard experience, I reckon.
    Otoh, it doesn't take much more than 10 minutes of cruising to get the gist of the difference between D and P boats.
    It really is a night and day difference.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    She prefers Sportscruisers too.
    Why not show her a DP48/50 and hear her impressions?
    You could always stick a FL badge on her and pretend she's a one-off prototype, straight from Oundle....

no more of this talk Mapis, you never know who’s listening . Spouses can be cajoled, moulded and eventually persuaded that this is the life for them it just takes time. Thirty years should do it
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Why not show her a DP48/50 and hear her impressions?
    You could always stick a FL badge on her and pretend she's a one-off prototype, straight from Oundle....
    I'd certainly love to have a look around one.

In my mind a 43 would be as large as I'd like to go however I'm not sure that something like a Pershing 43 would have much more interior space than my current boat.

Anyhow, It's not something that's of immediate concern.

Pete

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast